How do I keep the hotspot on permanently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsquare, Jan 4, 2012.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I notice that after a period of inactivity, the hotspot feature will essentially turn itself off and my laptop will lose internet. I can understand why that may be useful if it's in battery mode. However, when I'm at school, I have a power source nearby and power isn't an issue. Is there a way to prevent the iPhone from automatically turning off the feature?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Is your laptop going into sleep mode? If it is then that explanes why , there is no way to keep it on if something is not connected. I ha the same issue tethering my iPhone to my iPad and my iPad going to sleep. The way around In my case was to tether thru Bluetooth instead of wifi which is much better on battery but a little slower.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Plug the iPhone into your laptop with the USB sync cable and use the connection through that, instead of using WiFi or Bluetooth. This should keep the connection active for as long as your laptop is awake. It should also be the fastest in terms of throughput, and will also keep your iPhone charged without having to plug it in to an outlet.

5. lsquare, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone charges faster through the outlet than through my laptop's USB port.

6. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

You can't unfortunately. When you navigate to the personal hotspot section in settings it starts broadcasting the SSID and for 30 seconds after you navigate away or the phone goes to sleep.

As long as you are still using it it will stay active (even if the screen is off) but after a while it will shut down the hotspot and you have to reactivate it.

There is an Apple support page that details this but I'm not able to find it again but you should be able to find it if you look hard enough.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A simple script to ping a known Internet address every 25 seconds should keep it Alive. Maybe there is already a small widget to do just that(?)

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Even if it exists, you'd 100% have to jailbreak I think.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Uh no, not in the phone, at the laptop. Ur basically simulating fake activity.

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Just use a USB cable - works all the time. When you plug in, it activates the hotspot as long as you leave the hotspot switch in on mode.