How do I know Airport card is reseated correctly?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gbrant, Oct 23, 2008.

1. gbrant macrumors newbie

I followed the instructions on ifixit.com on installing RAM--followed directions exactly. Started it up again--all okay except "Airport Card not Detected."

To me, a novice, the card doesn't look pushed in all the way. I tried pushing it in fairly hard and it didn't go in any further. I don't want to force it. Should the silver case be butted up against the inset frame--or should there be a thin strip of "circuitry" showing? I had to pull pretty hard to the card out--but I fear ruining the card or the slot it goes into if I really get tough with it.

Or, perhaps it's not the card at all...do I have to reset something on the software or Network preferences?

Is there a photo of a properly installed Airport card I could refer to? Ifixit.com's photo only shows a pair of hand doing something--not a close-up.

Please hurry--I hate to see my laptop with its guts hanging out!
    Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Pictures?

What model laptop? I assume iBook, but is it an iBook G3, or an iBook G4?

[​IMG]

3. gbrant thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yes, Sorry.

iBook G4 933 MHz

Removed old RAM stick and install new Crucial RAM stick, screwed RAM shield back on, reconnected wire to Airport card, but had trouble with the little wire cage that is supposed to hold it down. Not sure if that's the problem or if I don't have it inserted far in enough.

Thanks

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The protective cage that surrounds the Airport card is not required for operation on Airport wireless networks. I would check to ensure that your card is correctly inserted, pull it out, and try to ensure alignment and gently push it back in. It should have little or no resistance, so check for bent pins on your board.

[​IMG]