how do I know if a particular HDD is ok for at 2012 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the dairy giant, Jun 13, 2012.

1. the dairy giant macrumors newbie

So I'm finally replacing my white plastic macbook from hmmm, 2007? I need firewire for my recently purchased audio interface (grrr, vanishing standards), and can't afford the big shiny new toy anyway. But my old macbook has a 500 gig 7200 rpm HDD, and I'm not going back to 5400.

I see this which looks very cool.... a hybrid 750 gig HD with 32 GB flash storage for frequently used data.
    http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011...us-xt-750-gb-almost-an-ssd-almost-affordable/

Anyway, the guy here is using it in a 13" mbp, but could I be sure it would be Ok in the new one? Could heat be an issue etc?

thanks,

Simon

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Pretty much any drive will work, as long as it fits. Heat won't be an issue, as drives aren't primary contributors to heat. The CPU and GPU are the two primary furnaces.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Why upgrade when you can just move over your old drive?

It should work, just make sure it is 9.5 mm, I dont think 12.5mm will play very well with a 13"

4. GGJstudios, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I don't think it will on a 2007 MacBook. I think 9.5mm is the max.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

OP says he is upgrading
    Edit: 9.5mm is limit for anything pre-unibody, I have a 12.5mm in mine (First unibody model) now. Tight, but it fits.

The drive posted will NOT work in a retina model. It WILL work (to the extent of my knowledge), with the non retina 2012 macbook

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks. The OP was a bit confusing to me.

7. the dairy giant thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for those comments, and apologies if the initial post was confusing. I upgraded my old macbook, and now want to buy a new MBP 13, but would want to upgrade the HDD in that too. I did think of using the drive i have in my current macbook, but that machine still has some life in it and will be used by other family members.

Looks like it would be OK to use then. :)