How do I know if I'm using wi-fi or cellular

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gsusser, Oct 20, 2012.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I recently started subscribing to the AT&T cellular on my iPad. In my house, I have a strong wi-fi connection. Yet the iPad seems to be using a cellular connection since it seems slower and I seem to use a lot of data. However, it could be my imagination. Is there a way to have it default to wi-fi? I would have assumed it automatically defaulted to wi-fi. Thanks.

2. sineplex macrumors 6502

turn it off manually, then you're safe.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

It tells you in the bar at the top if you are using 3G, 4G or Wifi (has three semi circles like a pizza slice). As the other guy said if you are home turn off the 3G or whatever you use. Mine always selects Wifi of I'm at a known network like home or work.

4. rolledm macrumors newbie

Unfortunately he never once admitted that this is in any way Apple's fault or issue. I told him that our 3, 4 and 4s iPhones connect to both routers with absolutely NO problems but it didn't seem to change his mind.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It does. After a period of inactivity, it reverts to cellular--just like with the iphone. It's an energy saver, from what I understand.

6. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

I did start turning off cellular when I get home but I forget.

I still don't get the semi circle thing though. I know that the semi circle indicates wi-fi but it appears regardless if cellular is off or on if both connections are available. Are we talking about the indicators on the top left?

With cellular off, only the wi-fi strength indicator appears. So, I have the word iPad and then the wi-fi symbol. With cellular turned on, instead of iPad appearing, I have the cellular strength bar (like a staircase), the words AT&T and then the wi-fi symbol.

I'm confused but at least I know now I need to remember to turn off cellular when using wi-fi.

If it makes a difference, I have the 3rd generation iPad.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When you have the wifi symbol there, then the iPad is using wifi data, When it is using cellular data, then the wifi symbol disappears and instead you get 3G, 4G, or LTE, whatever speed your cellular connection is at the moment.

That said, it probably is a good idea to turn off cellular data when you are home. I've had weird moments happen where the wifi connection drops, then the iPad tries to fall back onto cellular, but then the wifi snaps back on, and all these switching between connection slows down the data transmission.