how do i know if its software or bad phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Nov 12, 2014.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So ever i since i got my iphone 6 on launch day it has had so many fluky things happen. most i thought were ios8 but still must not be fixed. Tons of issues when rotating phone, wifi disconnecting on most videos, random restarting, etc. how do i know if these are issues that will be fixed with updates or if its just what i have to deal with or if i should be seeing if i should swap phones?

is everyone having these issues or is it just some people? if its everyone, then i know swapping wont help. i had zero issues with my 5 and 5S. not sure why there could be so many with this phone.

Thanks

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First and foremost: is it a 128GB iPhone 6? If it is, then right off the bat, it's probably the phone:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/07/apple-stopping-tlc-nand-flash-iphone-6-6-plus/

Some people have been having stability and boot-loop issues with the 128GB version, and it might be related to the type of NAND Flash storage that's been used on those models. Mine's been fine, but I've got my fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

Otherwise:

The rotation thing has been a bit of an issue for me, with some apps launching or existing in an orientation different from how the phone is being held. Annoying, but usually tilting the phone sideways and then tilting back brings it back to "rightside up."

The Wifi issues I haven't been experiencing. You might want to try resetting your network settings and see if that helps.

Restarts: I've been getting them very occasionally, but also on my iPad Air 2 and a friends's Air and iPhone 5. It seems to be related to buggy apps. Is there a particular app that you're using when this happens?

The issues I'm seeing are probably not nearly as frequent as yours, so there might be something going on with your setup there. I would try restoring, and if it keeps happening, then it's probably the phone. And again if it's a 128GB model, then it's almost definitely the hardware.

3. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a 64gb phone. i would have thought apple would have had fixes for these issues by now. i dont remember being in a certain app. just randomly does it. i will try restoring and see if it helps. i am burning through my data because everytime i watch a video it will at some point kick me to LTE and i wont even know it.