How do I know if my boyfriend is hacking into my computer still?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mariasmac, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mariasmac macrumors newbie

mariasmac

I have a Mac Computer its a PowerBook G4 and about 3 weeks ago i found out that my boyfriend who also has a macbook pro unibody was hacking into my computer :eek:! I checked his emails and he was receiving screen shots of my computer sent to him very frequently along with emails that didnt specify what program they came from but displayed plain text in the email also stating key strokes and all this other stuff!!!! Since Aug 16th he has apparently been receiving tons of these emails everytime i use my computer! I was shocked that he could do all of this somehow and im still not even sure what he is using to do this because hes not like the big hacker type really as far as i know anyways.

I checked all my sharing settings turned everything i could find about remote connecting and tried to block all incoming connections. Then I still thought he could be hacking into my computer somehow so i reinstalled my OSX and wiped my harddrive, and partitioned it and then made sure all my sharing and remote settings were secure.

I have no idea if he is still doing this to my computer can someone please tell me how i can see if he is and if there is any way to stop him from doing so? I would really appreciate any help since I have tried to do research and it is very hard to find a specific answer for my problem.
    I dont really care that he is checking up on what im doing because its all work related but I feel like my personal privacy has been violated in a crazy way and its not a good feeling. Please help thank you !

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why is he still your boyfriend?

Anyway if you wiped your drive and re-installed OSX you should be OK assuming you have a password set to prevent him gaining access when you are not using the machine.

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Go into System Preferences -> User Account and click your username, then Login Items. This will tell you all of the programs that start up with your computer. Remove anything that shouldn't belong there (whatever program he uses to do this will probably be on this list.) Once you figure out which program is doing this stuff, just delete that application.

The safest way would be to reformat your machine and reinstall OS X, but you may not have the ability to do that so I wanted to give you another option.

4. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I wouldn't leave him alone with your computer...

I agree with the previous poster wondering why this guy is still your boyfriend. Follow the above advice to clean you computer from whatever keylogger he's installed, but after that DO NOT LEAVE HIM ALONE with your computer. Good passwords are great and all, but if he has physical access to your computer, he can still cause you a great deal of pain.

The best way to do that is to dump him and make sure he doesn't have a key to your place (change the locks if you have to).

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Time to upgrade to a new boyfriend. do you think this bodes well for your future with him? It will only get worse...

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Suspicious, possessive boyfriends are more likely to become abusers. Dump this creep.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Sounds like the app called "Hidden". I'd suggest deleting your drive and re-partioning to make sure he know longer has access to anything.

8. killerrobot, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

First off: there are a lot of spy programs/ key loggers that track and record everything you do on your system as well as all passwords used. For example:
    http://www.mac-spy-software.com/
    http://www.blazingtools.com/
    So whatever website you log into using personal info (especially banks and credit cards) you need change all your log-ins and passwords, secret questions etc. as your boyfriend probably has access to all this information.
    The reinstall should have wiped the program off your system but I'd go ahead and install littlesnitch and monitor activity for any weird programs dialing home that you're unfamiliar with.

Second off - way off topic here: If you're reading your boyfriend's emails, and he's got spy-ware installed on your mac, you need to get out of that relationship ASAP as it is not a healthy one.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

[​IMG]

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What does a racist pot have to do with anything? :p

jW

11. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It's not a racist pot, I think it means "calling the kettle black".

12. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Little Snitch

Although the best solution would be backup your personal files (no apps) and then re-partition/format & re-install.

And remember to set a password for your account.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like there is a bit of a trust issue going on here! :eek:

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hence the smily, indicating sarcasm. I know what he meant, it was just a joke. ;)

jW