How do I know if my information is being shared?

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
OK for the record, yes I am new to Mac. Thanks in advance for your patience. I would like to know if all my information on the hard disk is being placed on the server. I'm connected via Ethernet to the university network/internet right now. When I double click Macintosh HD and then "Network" on the sidebar, then "Servers" I find my computer on there "Macoltranes-ibook-g4.local" and with that all my stuff.

Is my info being shared and if so, how do I stop it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No - that's the network your Mac sees, not the one the world sees. You're safe.

To be even safer, go to System Preferences...->Sharing and make sure your firewall is on and the Personal File Sharing, etc., options are off.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
jsw said:
No - that's the network your Mac sees, not the one the world sees. You're safe.

To be even safer, go to System Preferences...->Sharing and make sure your firewall is on and the Personal File Sharing, etc., options are off.
Thanks, jsw. I turned off the Personal File Sharing and turned on the Firewall. Are there any other steps I should take?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Don't worry, your on a mac! ;)

Even if you have Personal File Sharing turned on, it is still password protected.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Macoltrane said:
Thanks, jsw. I turned off the Personal File Sharing and turned on the Firewall. Are there any other steps I should take?
No, you're fine - and, as mentioned above, your drives would have been password protected anyway.

Just keep in mind that your Firewall will, by default, block things you might not expect (you can add you own rules to it), so, if something doesn't work that you think should, try turning it off and if things work then, ask us how to write the rule to allow it with the firewall on. :)