How do I know if my OS X (Leopard OR Snow Leopard) is original?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Unica, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Unica macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a MBP running Tiger with the original discs that came with my MBP.
    I am planning to move to OS Leopard OR Snow Leopard.

I am getting a (Mac computers service) company to do a complete check and erase install on my system.
    So how do i know if the OS that they put on my system is original or pirated or something?

I am paying them, so I need to be sure I am paying to have an original put in.

I will not be getting a disc... they said the install will be from their 'diagnostics'... whatever that means.

But I am worried about having problems, incase I end up having a pirated version.
    So how can I be sure its not pirated?

2. Unica thread starter macrumors newbie

they said:
    "We shall attempt to get a copy of Snow Leopard/ Leopard for you. If we don't - it will include the fresh install from our diagnostic services. You only ever really need this disc once, unless:
    A. You want to install on another machine.
    B. You want to do a refresh.
    We can do both for you anyhow at no further charge" , incase required in the future.

so I may get the disc or not... whichever way, I need to be sure its original.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They sound shady. There is no diagnostics version that can be mass-installed. Each legit copy of OS X is provided on a physical disk.

Are they even Apple certified?
    http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/

You can do it yourself. Either way, you need to backup.

1. Backup data yourself (get external drive)

2. Buy Snow Leopard $29 is upgrade version but works. Get the Mac Box set if you care about full "license" and getting the other software:
    http://www.apple.com/macboxset/requirements.html

3. Erase, and install

4. You can restore all your apps, documents, etc using migration assistant.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah... There really is no reason to have someone else do it for you. It's a very simply process in fact.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It doesn't take long to install OSx. Any company that offers to do installs without giving you the disk is violating Apple's license agreement. If you do not get a disk you are getting pirated software.

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

This isn't Windows. There are *no* license keys (at least in 10.4/5/6). Your copy of OS X will never expire or nag you to buy a legitimate copy.

I can't begin to explain the pain the Windows Genuine Advantage has caused me with a *legitimate* copy of XP, I actually had to resort to piracy in the end (*irony*). I really commend Apple for going without serials.

8. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

awesome pic

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

buy a retail copy and do it yourself it is really simple and doesn't take very long.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

By a disc. Then either install it yourself, or take it to the service, making it clear that they either give you back the disc or give you the cash to buy another one.