How do I know if my unlock was successful?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trev, Nov 29, 2010.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I completed the most recent unlock from dev team using pwnage took and ultrasn0w. My baseband is now 6.15.0 and the newest ultrasn0w ran without any problems. My only question is, how do I know if i worked (apart from going to the store and setting it up)? I assumed I'd see "Bell 3G" in the top right corner, but I don't. I just see "No Service".

I have a bell aliant sim card in the phone and it was in throughout the install process, as well, 3G was also enabled throughout the unlock process (I heard this may hinder it).

Trevor

2. WhatAmI, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If everything went smooth w/o hiccups with the JB you may want to try and toggle the Airplane mode a couple of times to see if it picks up the signal, also try disabling 3G.

Sometimes it may take a while for the OS to pick up the signal and 'connect' to the new operator. If all fails I'd recommend a new fresh JB with PwnageTool

3. jjm83 macrumors newbie

I have the same question... I have a 3GS 4.1 with the updated firmware, the first time I loaded ultrasn0w i went into the settings menu and it gave me the option for "Carrier" but now I don't see it. I turned the phone off to conserve the battery and I am selling it today to someone and I hope that nothing went wrong

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I always looked for the "Carrier" setting in the Settings app to verify that ultrasn0w was working. Whenever I didn't see that, I'd reinstall ultrasn0w until that setting appeared again.

Sometimes, the phone needs a hard reboot for ultrasn0w to pick up the correct carrier right after installation. OP, see if that works. Also, if you have visual voicemail, it would be a good idea to send yourself a voicemail or two to make sure that it's working. On more than one occasion, I stopped receiving voicemails, and either had to reboot my phone multiple times, or uninstall ultrasn0w altogether to get it to work again.

5. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

rwilliams:

When you say a hard reboot... isn't this a teathered JB? Woulden't you then have to go to DFU mode & restore your iphone using the custom ISPW?

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'm still on 4.1, so my jailbreak is untethered.

7. PinoySaMI macrumors member

PinoySaMI

I JB with current OS 4.2.1 and it still has a signal but when I unlocked it with ultrasnow my iphone says "SEARCHING". I JB and UN it several times but got the same results.

Any suggestion?

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're using T-Mobile in the U.S. make sure you have 3G off. You can try removing and reinstalling ultrasn0w. Make sure your baseband is 6.15.00 if you used the new method.

9. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

This has been pretty annoying and I hope MuscleNerd comes up with a surefire solution to this. But this is what I've done to get it to work.

1. Insert your SIM card to your unlocked 6.15.00 iPhone. It will say No SIM.
    2. Remove SIM
    3. Turn off iPhone.
    4. Turn it on and wait it to boot.
    5. Insert SIM and wait a few minutes and it will work.

10. PinoySaMI macrumors member

PinoySaMI

Well I bumped my Iphone 3G to Ipad BB 6.15.00 and is now JB and UN. So far the only thing I noticed is it cannot received MMS.

I may not be able to upgrade my 3G in the future but I think this will the last BB and OS upgrade for it.

Thanks for the all the help.