Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hey all,

I just got my very first iPod - a 4G 40GB - two weeks ago (exactly). I love it (how can you not?), but there was one problem - it kept spontaneously rebooting while playing music and audiobooks (not moving or being bumber, headphone or car cassette adapter attached, nothing else - like a Mac or charger - attached). It did this three times in 9 days. Each time, I used the iPod Updater to reset it, reloaded everything, etc. Pain in the butt. After the third time, I called in and Apple said to return it for repairs. I was afraid it'd take forever to come back. Anyway, Thursday, I sent it in. Today - a Saturday - it came back. I was amazed.

However, I have no way of telling that they did anything other than take it out of one box, take out the note I included with my address and explanation of the problem, drop it into a different box with a note explaining how included was a "replacement of your Apple iPod" - including a statement that I needed to retain the note for proof of ownership.

The thing is - this was my iPod. Not only was the serial number the same, not only was it the same case (minor front scratch gave it away), not only were all my songs and audiobooks still on it, but, when I put it in it's dock, iTunes asked me if I wanted to use the latest updater on it (I did).

Of course, I can play it and see if it reboots again, but how on Earth could they have done anything without at least erasing my songs or updating it?

Any ideas?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
shecky said:
your ipod sent to apple ------>apple images ipod contents to a HD--------->copy image from HD to new ipod--------->back to you at home
Yeah - except it's my old case as well (telltale scratch on front). Would they go through the trouble of removing the guts from the case and then send it back to me - with the same serial number? Seems very odd.

I mean, the turnaround time is great - I got it back two days after I sent it - but, seriously, what could they have done?

Edit: I tend to doubt that Apple images the iPod HDs they replace - I suspect that you better be sure before you send it in that you have nothing on the drive which you need.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
shecky said:
your ipod sent to apple ------>apple images ipod contents to a HD--------->copy image from HD to new ipod--------->back to you at home

You forgot ----------> scratch iPod exactly like his-------> make serial number the same.

Maybe they just cracked her open and found a little physical problem inside? Sodder-sodder, no format!

edit: Wow, great minds. As long as it works, just accept the fact that Apple works in mysterious ways.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Could be - I'll just have to keep using it to see if the same problem surfaces. I was hoping for a new case, but, then again, if it's fixed - no way can I complain about the turnaround time!

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
shecky doesn't pay attention------->shecky makes a dumb post ------>shecky looks less like a l33t iP0D hAx0r

but seriously folks, i am sure Apple has a method to grab all of your music+book files off the ipod so they can put them back on the iPod after running diagnostics, formatting w/ new OS, etc...

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
If you purchased this through Apple and you used their warranty to service the product, they will not replace your iPod until they believe that fixing the issue will cost more than replacing it. That is why I enjoy going through other stores for iPods with their replacement plans as opposed to service plans. So whenever you send your unit in, don't expect them to give you a brand spanking new unit...they will replace defective batteries with used/refurbished batteries. Same goes for the screen and few other parts. Any parts that are cheap enough will be replaced with new, but the service stop there unless the defect is significant enough to warrant your iPod replacement with a refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.