How do I know I'm ready for a clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ketchup, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Ketchup macrumors newbie

Total rookie here. Currently running Tiger. I want to do a clean install of Snow Leopard. I've backed up my hard drive to an external device.

Before I wipe the slate clean, how can I be certain the external drive contains everything I will need to repopulate the new system?

I'm afraid I'll start adding stuff after the install and realize too late that I'm missing some crucial permission or folder. When I look at the external drive finder, I see that I, the admin (God help us), don't have access privileges to many of the other users' folders. Does this matter?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If whatever program you used completed the clone successfully, you have everything.

3. Ketchup thread starter macrumors newbie

And the clone is completed successfully if the files on the external drive exactly mirror the files on the hard drive, right? I know this sounds like an idiotic question, but I keep being surprised by things that seem obvious to me turning out not to be how my computer actually works.

Also, I didn't actually use a program to back up. All I did was drag the "Macintosh HD" icon onto my external drive icon. So, while all the files appear to have been copied, I'm not sure that's all that a true backup is supposed to include.

Thanks for your patience. Hardware is not my thing.

4. simsaladimbamba

Btw, it's a software thing.

Better use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of your Macintosh HD to the external HDD, as using Finder will not copy everything and might introduce permission hiccups.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

5. Ketchup thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess software's not my thing either. But, I do type very well. Anyway, CCC worked. Thank you so much for your help!