How do I know my HD is okay???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 1191, Aug 10, 2011.

1. 1191 macrumors newbie

I am having problems with watching videos, including Skype... sounds gets broken and sometimes picture freezes or pixelates.

Apple checked it with a program and said the HD was a question and may give me a problem at anytime... (this is not an original HD.)

I did a disk permissions check and repair and it says the disk is repaired.. yet when I check it there are more permissions noted but granted they may not be important..

How do I know if the HD truly needs replacement?

What in the computer can make the sound become choppy and unable to be deciphered?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't think distorted sound indicates a problem with the hard drive. It may be more related to your internet speed (if not enough information makes it through to you, sound and video will become distorted).

3. shifuimam macrumors newbie

Has this been a problem since you got the computer?

What version of OS X are you running, and what are the specs on the CPU and RAM installed in the machine?

When you're watching a movie or using Skype, open Activity Monitor (it's in \Applications\Utilities) and take a look at the processor and memory usage going on.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you've got a resource issue - movies and Skype are resource-heavy in terms of processing power and memory usage. If you've recently upgraded to Lion on an older MacBook, it's entirely possible your computer just can't handle the demands of what you're doing with it.

4. 1191, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011

1191 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it use to run the videos okay....

I am running Snow Leopard...

Macbook about 3 -4 years old...
    2 CHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

HD 640 WD Scorpio Bue 5400 rpm -- Had it for two years..

So... is it my machine's capabilities and limitations???

Appreciate your thoughts...

The video issue occurs even when I have great Internet speed as checked online...

5. chrisman macrumors newbie

To know if it's your hard drive you can do the Apple Hardware Test
    You can also boot from the install dvd and verify the drive and repair it.