How do I know what display I have?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atMac, Mar 24, 2013.

1. atMac macrumors 6502

I have tried the Terminal command:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

And I get no return line. It just takes me to the prompt again.

In the color Profile I have Manufacture listed as 00000610 and the Model 0000A014. Neither give me any info in Google.

I have never noticed any burn-in so I assume I have a Samsung.

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

Not all LG displays suffer from burn in or image retention (IR)

Samsungs are great, but no display is perfect.

Apple makes it nearly impossible to tell since they were getting so many complaints.

My suggestion: just use it and stop inspecting. I've had a few, and we have nearly 60 of all configs at work. Under demanding engineering work they're doing fine.

Enjoy yours, it's a great laptop.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You cannot do the Terminal command if you have a 13" rMBP. Just use the computer like you normally would. If no one had known about LG and Samsung, no one would care what brand display they have. Just enjoy your machine!

4. atMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm only interested in knowing incase they do some kind of recall or extended support for the LG screens similar to what tehy did when they had battery issues a few years back

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I do not believe they will recall the 13" because they have made it hard if not impssible to determine the screen maker. How can they expect people to know if their computer qualifies?

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If they do a recall then they will provide instructions on how to identify if your system is affected. My suggestion would be to stop worrying about it. If you've been happy with the screen up until now, just keep enjoying it. If you find out that you have an LG screen then it's likely that even if your screen is perfect, you'll perceive flaws that may or may not be there and will become disgruntled.