How do I know what exactly is backed up for a restore?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Ornryactor, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Ornryactor macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my 2G iTouch running 3.0 a while back. Then I accidentally upgraded to 3.1.1 when it came out via iTunes. I hadn't really done anything with the jailbreak other than install the 'Folders' app. I had a TON of apps, so almost all of them went into a folder. When 3.1.1 was installed, it apparently wiped out the folders, but didn't bring the stuff inside them back to the main springboard. They're still on my iPod, and still receiving updates and all that, but I can't see them on the springboard screen and can't use them.

Is there any way to get rid of the jailbreak WITHOUT restoring my iPod? If not, what is saved during a backup? I have a TON of eBooks stored and would really hate to lose all of those, since I hadn't read many of them and wouldn't necessarily be able to hunt them down. Also, how do I check details about the last backup saved in iTunes?

I don't care about keeping the jailbreak; I'd rather be rid of it. It just wasn't useful for me; I'd rather be able to update the software as updates come from Apple. So can I get rid of the jailbreak without permanently losing all my application data and files (aside from the apps themselves)?

Thanks, everyone.

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Try Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable and then Disable again, this has worked for other to restore the hidden apps.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If this doesn't work, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Homescreen Layout.

4. Ornryactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately my Settings app was in one of the folders, so it's invisible and I can't get to it. Any other ideas?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, then. Your only options are to restore and set up as new, or rejailbreak and unhide the icons using SBSettings or Poof.

Let this be a warning: NEVER EVER HIDE SETTINGS!!!! :D

ETA: Actually, I just remembered... Try using spotlight search to look for Settings. It just might work.