Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England

Masters in Maths.

Nice deflection from your problem

Grow up!
If you drank that much last night you meet criteria for being an alcoholic.

Stop being silly. I drink maybe twice a week usually, maybe 400ml vodka and a few pints. I'm a binge drinking student just like everyone else is. This week is freshers week so more is consumed for obvious reasons. Stop jumping to conclusions.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
If you drank that much last night you meet criteria for being an alcoholic.

I'm not so sure that's true. I'm sure it's numerous things, but I think the criteria is more dependent on how OFTEN you drink that amount. Just my two cents

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Masters in Maths.

Stop being silly. I drink maybe twice a week usually, maybe 400ml vodka and a few pints. I'm a binge drinking student just like everyone else is. This week is freshers week so more is consumed for obvious reasons. Stop jumping to conclusions.
I am sure your liver is thrilled.:rolleyes:

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Don't listen to the one drink an hour rule. It takes a surprising small amount of alcohol to go over 0.08.

Best rule is if you drink anything not to drive. I know that sounds dumb, but if you make that one mistake where you think you are fine and get pulled over (for anything) you are in for a world of hurt if you are over the limit.

Friends have gotten a DUI for an amount they drank well under the 1 drink per hour rule.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm not so sure that's true. I'm sure it's numerous things, but I think the criteria is more dependent on how OFTEN you drink that amount. Just my two cents

Ever tried to stop, lied about it, concealed it and think you drink too much. Thats what they taught us to ask patients about alcoholism during a history in school, two of them and its a good indicator of alcoholism.

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
Don't listen to the one drink an hour rule. It takes a surprising small amount of alcohol to go over 0.08.

Best rule is if you drink anything not to drive. I know that sounds dumb, but if you make that one mistake where you think you are fine and get pulled over (for anything) you are in for a world of hurt if you are over the limit.

Friends have gotten a DUI for an amount they drank well under the 1 drink per hour rule.

Even worse--you accidentally kill someone. People are killed by drunk drivers in my town several times a year. This summer, for instance, four teenagers, who had NOT been drinking, were killed when a drunk driver hit their car.

If you want to have fun drinking, fine. Just DON'T DRIVE afterward!

Waking up to realize you have caused the deaths of innocent people because you drove while impared from drink--that is a world of hurt, indeed.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I have nothing wrong with drinking, I love to do it but I also want to live the day after.

It just takes some time for some people to learn this :D

I only drink when I visit home, and I drink a lot when I'm home, but I can still function the morning after. I may drink for 12 hours straight, but I wont get totally plastered.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I'm a binge drinking student just like everyone else is.
And what if everyone else starts jumping off bridges? Seriously, just because "everyone else" (which is clearly hyperbole) is doing it, doesn't make it okay. Time to educate yourself of why binge drinking is bad for you, including possibly resulting in your death.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Wow, a whole bunch of light weights in this thread. I know I have had more than that after a night of partying, back in college:rolleyes:. Especially on a hot summer day when starting at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and continuing until the wee hours of the morning. Though I eventually got tired of being hammered but one can easily take that down with plenty of non alcoholic fluids over a 12 hour period with no hangover.

Anyways assuming you drank steadily and it was 80 proof Vodka. You took in 13.5 shots. And assuming your body processes alcohol at the average rate of one drink per hour. Then 13.5 hours from the time you started drinking you should have zero BAC. So 12.5 to 9.5 hours to be under 0.08 depending on body weight.

Though you may want to wait longer to be more rested and sure you won't need to stop a purge while driving:eek:.

All joking aside. In the future you should plan with friends to hire a cab. It is pretty cheap with four payers. I myself will not drive if I have drank at all.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm a binge drinking student just like everyone else is.

"Everyone else was dooooing it" :rolleyes:
That isn't really a good reason. And no, not every student is. Some are paying through the nose for a good education to get further in life.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Why? I know people who drink more.

I'm 19, I'm a student. What else are we supposed to do?! :p

I'm not saying I didn't drink before I hit 21, but really? That is way too much booze and trust me, it is odd that I think that way. ;)

Us Brits can obviously handle our booze better than you yanks ay? :p

Ah well. Fun times were had.

I'm a 20 year old British student who's just moved to Austria for an ERASMUS placement. I can't even remember all the different countries the people I know here come from but seriously, no one drinks like us Brits. The Australians are probably closest and some Americans give it a go, but we are the out and out wasters.

And I'm a moderate drinker compared to a lot of students ie I don't make myself sick and I can remember the night before right through*. My friend who normally finishes each night with her head in a bucket (or memorably, a frying pan) hasn't even made herself sick since we got here* and she's still always the drunkest.

There's some sort of joke we make about this when we're out at night. I can't remember it in the cold light of day though.

*I do realise these aren't necessarily things to be proud of . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.