How do I know when I've been quoted?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mike.coulter, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

2. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

You could try searching for "Originally Posted by mike.coulter", but that only produces the thread, not the instance.

I have a similar problem, with a similarly unsuccessful "solution"—finding my previous posts. Maybe I just can't drive the User CP, but it needs to be a 'menu' option on the left there, if Arn has a few bucks to throw at it.

Cheers

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is the option of clicking on your user name and selecting to FIND MORE POSTS BY ... .

Or if you have subscriptions enabled, you can go to the USER CP and select to show all subscribed threads.

Here is the FAQ section about

How do I find my own posts?
    To find your own posts, click on your user name next to a post and select Find More Posts by (yourname).

You can also find your posts by clicking either Find all posts by (yourname) or Find all threads started by (yourname) in your User Profile. To go to your User Profile, click on your user name and select View Public Profile, or click Quick Links in the toolbar and select My Profile.

You can create a bookmark to find the threads in which you have posted as follows.

Create a bookmark to an arbitrary page, with a name like My MacRumors Threads.
    Edit the bookmark and paste this string into the URL: http://forums.macrumors.com/search....sortby=lastpost&order=descending&searchdate=0
    Replace USERNAME with your forum user name, changing any space in your user name to %20, e.g., user name Mac Guru would become Mac%20Guru.
    To create a bookmark to find your posts, e.g., My MacRumors Posts, do the same but start with this string:

http://forums.macrumors.com/search....ost&order=descending&searchdate=0&showposts=1

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ#How_do_I_find_my_own_posts.3F

If you use MRoogle you will find plenty of threads about this.

For instance this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=873202

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can search for:

"[QUOTE=mike.coulter"

Make sure to keep the "'s

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Isn't this the actual code?

[quote=mike.coulter]

Ah, you edited.

Example with MRoogle

6. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Oooh yeah, that's right !! Big thanks. I remember seeing Find More Posts By a long time ago, and I guess I'm too used to right-clicking to see a contextual menu, now.

And thanks for 'finding the FAQ for me'. :eek:

Tried all those and I'm still looking for 'the crucial post'. Somebody quoted a thread where Apple wouldn't return a stolen iPhone that came in for servicing because the owner hadn't reported it to the police. And I'm stuffed if I can find the 'magic words' to put into any search engine to find the thread, the person who quoted it or my 'worth requoting' post. It came up in the 'leaked iPhone' discussions… somewhere.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This may help?
    http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&...G=Search&cx=011016119145480959114:kuv1aq0hily

8. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But MRoogle (the search link I gave) searches MacRumors Forums, thus the discussions on the articles posted on MacRumors. So if you can remember more about what you wrote, you may be able to find it. That's how I sometimes find older posts by me.

10. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

If only. I've been trying (on and off) for 3 days. I've even gone through deleted emails in the hope Macrumors notified me about one of the relevant posts.

Thanks to you Post By gave me all my posts. And I've checked my subscribed threads manually.

The original quote was very obscure, something simple like "read this" with a link attached to the text, and my reply was similarly nondescript, making it apparently impossible to find.

I haven't been able to find the thread quoted either using any combination of "Apple refused to return my stolen iPhone because I didn't report it to the police", so I'm giving it a break for the weekend to see if I get any inspiration once I've forgotten about it… (It's Friday where I am) Thanks for all your help.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's Friday here too, and as every year, war is upon us in this nice little city. People getting drunk and beating the **** out of each other, getting cars to burn, throwing rocks and bottles around. And police almost everywhere.

And I don't have a camera with me.

Btw, isn't it strange that none of Harry and Ginny's children have names coming from the Weaslys? All have to do with Harry's past, which is part of Ginny's too, but predominantly it is Harry's. Just thought of that while reading your user name. Good day.