How do I know when to stop? (upgrading apps, that is...)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ukalady, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ukalady macrumors newbie

I think I've made a big mistake in automatically upgrading my apps and the iOS for my 1G (iOS 3.1.3) because I now have apps that no longer work on that generation; they just start up and then shut down. The developer says it's because the upgraded apps no longer work with the 1G devices at 3.1.3--if I'd known that, I'd not have upgraded the app/iOS because I'd rather have an "old" app with fewer features than a non-working app.

Considering that I'm now stuck (am I? I did go back and save the earlier .ipa files from a week-old back up so I *do* have those), how can I best maintain my 1G with the working apps I have now? Do I *never* upgrade apps/iOS on the 1G again? How can I tell before upgrading (short of a warning: "Not for 1G devices")?

And, further, since my new 4G arrives Monday (crossed fingers), how can I have the most current apps for it and still maintain the 1G at a functional state? Can iTunes keep two sets of the same apps (old and new) in one iTunes account or will I have to set up a *new* iTunes account for the new 4G to be able to have the new apps on that one?

Am I missing something here? (Entirely possible--I'm old enough to be a grandma to many of you folks posting here--but I sure appreciate lurking and the info shared!).

2. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Did you sync it with the 'old' apps on?
    I find that whenever an app is replaced by a newer one in the itunes library, the old copy gets moved to the trash / recycle, so it may be worth looking in there.

I've had a tendency to keep all my old ones in a folder called 'old apps' just for some such eventuality, although that's growing a little big and unwieldy now...

edit. somehow didn't read. :rolleyes:
    Yes; just re-use the .ipa for the app / version you want.

If you just drag it to itunes, it seems to create an 'orphaned' duplicate that never gets updated, while the standard does.

3. ukalady thread starter macrumors newbie

I *do* have the old apps' .ipa files, but eliminating them from the iPod as well as iTunes and then dragging the .ipa files back in doesn't seem to change anything. I think it's the most recent upgrade of the iOS that scotched it...