how do i know which ipod i have and which software to use?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ryagg, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ryagg macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this whole scene but would like to jailbreak my 8gb Ipod touch. I'm not sure which information I need to know and which software I can use to jailbreak with. Is my Ipod a 3g? On my pod it says version 3.1. Can someone help me throughout this process please? :confused: tia

2. Dahercool macrumors newbie

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Im confused, its ur problem, so stop complaining

3. David G. macrumors 65816

1st off: Since it has a capacity of 8GB that tell us one thing, it is not a 3rd generation iPod touch.

2nd: From here we need to know whether or not it has volume buttons on the left side. If it does then it's a 2nd Generation iPod touch, if not: 1st Generation. Another way to tell is if it can play music without anything plugged into the speaker port, i.e. does sound come out of it other than alerts or clicky like sounds. If it can play music or let out gaming sounds through an internal speaker than again it is a 2nd Generation iPod touch. If it can't, 1st gen.

3rd: If by 3g you mean the wireless network capability ala cellular network, then that's a whole different story which no iPod touch has ever had.

Hope this helps.

4. mugsysam macrumors newbie

i will help you jailbreak your ipt

hey

the first i need to know are you using a pc or mac ?i hope a pc because i don't know anything about a mac. you will need to do some internet searching and download some programs/software.
    1> you will need blackra1n { this is the program to jb your ipt } you can get it at www.blackra1n.com
    2> you should backup your ipt using itunes this way if you mess up you can always restore it back
    3> you need to go into your ipt in the setting app click on the general tap click on the about tap this will tell you what version you are running

start with this and i will check back later and we will go from there ..

jailbreaking is easy the hard part is getting your ipt ready

you should also go on youtube and search for jailbreak watch some vidoes this will help up later i would stay away from the new program called sprint i have only hear bad things about this program but it is your ipt you can do what you what;)