How do I launch the DVD Player application if I removed my superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vgoklani, Mar 3, 2011.

1. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

Hi,

I removed my Superdrive because I needed a second hard drive. Unfortunately, the DVD player application now to refuses to play DVD image files (i.e. VIDEO_TS files). How do I fix this issue?

Interestingly enough, the DVD Player application installed on the Mac Mini Server doesn't check for the Superdrive. How do I modify my version of DVD Player? Is there a simple .plist file that needs to be modified? Thanks!

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

You can either use DVD Drive switcher and plug in your DVD drive via a USB enclosure whenever you want to use DVD player (definitely not ideal), or you can just play from VLC, which I prefer anyway. My MCE Optibay came with software that would disable checking for an ODD, but the patch broke when OS X got updated.
    Basically, VLC, or deal with an external drive.

3. acedickson, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Use VLC to play your video files.

LOL, damn you axu

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Hahaha. Snipe. I'm just curious, but what does the MacRumors 6502a under our usernames mean?

5. vgoklani thread starter macrumors regular

vgoklani

Perhaps I'm just being picky, but DVD Player uses hardware decoding and is much more resource efficient than VLC...

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That means you have between 500-1000 posts on the forums. You can look up the various titles on the forum FAQ

As for OP, what about Front Row or iTunes? I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and it has a nicer interface. However, I have yet to find a workaround. Anyone else know?

8. vgoklani thread starter macrumors regular

vgoklani

*bump*

curious if anyone has figured out a solution to this problem?

9. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426