how do I let windows read the mac hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by timmillwood, Aug 3, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

how do I let windows read the mac hard drive?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You could also start by turning on "Windows Sharing" in the System Preferences "Sharing" panel.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It depends on what you are doing? If you are using bootcamp, either of the previously mentioned software apps will do the trick.

If you are using Parallels the Mac and Windows drives are available to each other starting with version 3 you can drag and drop as needed.

Cheers,

4. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

MacDrive is the way to go. It works perfectly with my external HD and allows me to use it to back up data on both Windows and OSX.

5. aloysius95 macrumors newbie

I developed a small program, that installs the bootcamp drivers on any windows machine, it will let you easily read HFS+ partitions on windows... Check it out http://hfsplus.codeplex.com

6. marikavs macrumors member

Opposite

I had the opposite problem. I wanted to STOP Windows from reading (or even mounting) the OS X partition as D:. I found this solution on the Internet. Rename AppleMNT.sys in the System32 folder (in \Windows) to have a different extension, like .sav e.g..

This worked like a charm for me, so maybe you need to look for, or somehow acquire if you don't have it, the AppleMNT file and put it in the System32 folder.