How do I listen to a CD-MP3 without importing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

How do I listen to a CD-ROM MP3 with out importing to my iTunes.
    Everytime I open the CD and double clic on the song it imports to my iTunes.
    As there are about a 1000 songs on the CD I just want to listen rather than filling up my HD memory. When i put in a normal CD it always ask's if I want to import... But with the CD_ROM already in MP3 format it imports straight away. (iTunes 7 on OSX 10.3.9)
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Check the preferences of iTunes.

You can also use VLC player to add the songs to the playlist window and then play on random or not.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"How do I listen to a CD-ROM MP3 with out importing to my iTunes.
    Everytime I open the CD and double clic on the song it imports to my iTunes."

I would suggest that you go here:
    http://www.mikeash.com/software/qtamateur/

... and download the compact "QTAmateur" application.

It will play mp3 and Quicktime movies, but - more importantly - it will allow you to export into different formats, as well.

Once you have QTAmateur, do this:
    1. Mount your mp3 CD on the desktop, but DON'T double-click on the mp3 file to open it.
    2. Instead, use a "right-click" on the file you wish to play. This should cause a contextual menu to open.
    3. From the "Open With..." choice in the contextual menu, select QTAmateur. (If it doesn't automatcially "show up", use the "Other" choice at the bottom to "hunt and pick" it).

Although it's tiny (and also free), I find myself turning to QTAmateur more often than I do to iTunes to play mp3 files...

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You just need to change the "On CD insert" option in your iTunes prefs. Apparently you have it set to import automatically.

5. max.osxpert macrumors newbie

Play CDs without importing

Open iTunes before you insert the CD then make sure your prefs are set to show cd on insert then pop in the CD. See image for more detail. :)

[​IMG]

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

What Spinnerlys said. By default, iTunes will add the songs to the library when played. So either change the default behavior or use different software.

I seem to recall that there's a shift key trick that will play it without adding it.

7. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks... this seems like a great solution.... One small problem though
    Both Preferences and Help are greyed out... what did i do wrong
    I have QT 7.4.5 and OS Panther

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

RE:
    "this seems like a great solution.... One small problem though
    Both Preferences and Help are greyed out... what did i do wrong
    I have QT 7.4.5 and OS Panther"

They are "greyed out" on my copy, as well. I surmise this means the application is so "basic" that there _aren't any_ preferences that can be chosen, and the author of the app felt that no "help" is needed.

You just look at it, figure it out, and use it.

It's just a simple, free, functional application that does what it's supposed to do.

9. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I figured it must be something like that.... thanks for the Info.