How do I load a video onto the HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Ok I've always easily loaded photos onto iPhoto, but this is the first time I've tried to up load a video from my digital camera. Is the video suppose to go into iPhoto like a photo would? Or does it go somewhere else?

When I connect the USB cable from the camera to the notebook, iPhoto automatically opens and I get a message that says "Ready to Import 1 Item." I click on the start button and a P2 icon appears on the left; that's my camera, a Nikon Coolpix P2. I wait a little while, but nothing happens. I'm able to play back the video on the camera though; so I know it was in fact recorded.

Edit:

I was reading some of the information in the computer's owners manual and it says to connect the camera to the computer via a Firewire cable for loading videos into iMovie; is that what I need? I've been loading photos into iPhoto with a USB cable with no problems.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're on the right track. If your camera has a FireWire port, then you can follow the advice given. Otherwise, you'll need to do it the manual way:
    1. Open iMovie
    2. Find your device
    3. Tell iMovie to import movie files from this device