How Do I Load Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xvigauge, Jan 2, 2017.

1. xvigauge macrumors member

xvigauge

Before I go blindly into this one, I'm going to ask for guidance from the experienced Mac folks on the forum. I have a Sony camera and it has a Sony 8GB memory card. How can I transfer the pictures on the memory card to a file on my MacBook Pro Sierra OS? It looks like on the right side of the lap top there is a 1 1/4" slot that looks like a memory card would slide into. Is that it? Do I just slide in the memory card and wait for further instructions to pop up? Or do I have to open some file first and then slide in the memory card? does the memory card have to be installed with some kind of software first or formatted in some way? What else do I need to know? Thanks in advance for your help.
    xvigauge

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

just insert the SD card into the SD card reader.

The application Photos will automatically open and offer you to import the pictures/videos.

Done.

3. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

Thanks Bruno09. I will give it a try and report what happens.
    xvigauge

4. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

I was able to get the photos to show up on the computer but only as long as the card was installed. I really only wanted these pictures to show up just long enough to load onto an eBay listing for something I am selling and I don't need these pics to be on the computer anyway. But, how do I put them into a file and keep them on the computer after the card is removed?
    xvigauge

5. Bruno09, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

After you have inserted the SD card, quit Photos, and launch the app Image Capture from the Applications folder.

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Insert your SD Card

open your browser to the eBay listing you're trying to create

once your at the point of the listing to upload photos, go ahead and tap upload and navigate to the SD card

Select the photos for the listing and let them upload

Once the listing is finished and loaded, you can remove the SD card

Alternatively, you can copy the pics from the SD card to your Desktop (or anywhere for that matter) and select the photos for your eBay list from wherever it was that you saved them to (i.e. Desktop)

7. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

I don't see Image Capture anywhere. I was able to get the photos to go into some temporary (I guess) folder and then load them onto ebay. When the card was removed, the photos went away. I think what I should do is to insert the SD card and then go to "Photos" click on file and try to go from there if I want to save the photos on the computer somewhere. Otherwise, I don't get it.
    xvigauge

8. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Apple has a support website with articles that explain how to use features. To import photos in to Photos, follow this article, and this article for Image Capture (which is located in /Applications).