Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wts

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
On the odd occasion i allow access to my computer.

However I do not want the hassle of setting up a special visitors/users sign in etc.

However I do have some folders/contents that contain private banking information. How do I make a folder and its contents only readable or accessible by me ?

Is there a program for that or a way to do that in OS X Mavaericks ?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

However I do not want the hassle of setting up a special visitors/users sign in etc.

However I do have some folders/contents that contain private banking information. How do I make a folder and its contents only readable or accessible by me ?

Is there a program for that or a way to do that in OS X Mavaericks ?

Sure, lots of options.

You could create a blank, password-protected sparse file which mounts up as though it's a separate disk.

You could use a program like TrueCrypt to create a password-protected virtual disk.

You could create a second partition for private data, and password protect that partition.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

Setting up a guest user will require far less time and hassle than trying to secure your data. OS X already has a guest user. Mine is disabled so I timed it and it took me less than 20 seconds to enable it. Majority of that time was entering my password. While still in the Users & Groups screen I was able to add a new user (using my brother's name) in less than 30 seconds.

Once created, either use fast user switching or log out of your account and let them use it.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I'd +1 the guest account option op. Here is why...

if you found a solution and put in place, when not sharing your account you are entering the password as well for every use yourself. As if you went to that degree...if your solution has a remember me option you would not use it.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Disk Image

Go into Disk Utility and create a password protected, encrypted disk image file.

Then when you want to access it, you mount it like a network drive, enter your password, do what you want with the contents then un-mount it again.

Guest accounts are OK, but you need to remember to log out/in on them.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Go into Disk Utility and create a password protected, encrypted disk image file.

Then when you want to access it, you mount it like a network drive, enter your password, do what you want with the contents then un-mount it again.

If logging in and out occasionally when there is a visitor is a hassle, how is it better to be doing what is effectively complicated logging in and out every time he accesses this data which I'd assume is much more frequently?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
How about just setting up a one Account (Standard of course) and leaving it for all people. So when you give someone access to your Mac you can log out of your account into that account. The Standard account would be perfect for a guest to use on occasion.

Then there is some (this is an application) Espionage.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
The only way to do it without creating a different user account or using the guest account is to encrypt them or remove them and store them somewhere else. It's more of a hassle to do this than to just create a different user or enable the guest account.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

lesser of 2 evils here really imo.

also gets the benefit of guests not messing up things like histories. web, command (assuming cli used for something), etc and other profile aspects like desktop setup.

Why along time ago I dealt with they why? from my wife when I created her own account on shared computers at any rate. Trying to hide something? she'd ask. I'd say no, the special files are here if so inclined to watch. I just get tired of tidying up my profile after you use it.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If logging in and out occasionally when there is a visitor is a hassle, how is it better to be doing what is effectively complicated logging in and out every time he accesses this data which I'd assume is much more frequently?

Sorry . I am a security professional. Data worth protecting should be protected properly. It us not just about stopping people getting access when using your machine.

What about someone gaining physical access to the hard drive or a time machine backup and mounting that and finding the files?

By using a disk image you protect the data at rest and actively need to authenticate at time if access. Thus is a n active rather than passive approach.

Much more effective and less prone to accidental exposure.

Up to you, just presenting an alternate option.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.