How do I make a folder private?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thiagos, May 14, 2008.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to make a certain folder password protected? If so, how would I do that?

I only want to require password on one specific folder.

Thanks in advance

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Your best bet is to make an encrypted disk image, then move the folder into that. You'll need the password to mount the image before making it readable.

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

This question pops up a lot.
    You can hide a folder from the Finder using Terminal. Google it.
    Or you can make an password protected disk image with Disk Utility.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can also just right-click on the folder in question and choose "Get Info" and click the locked button. Now by doing this the only way to keep it private is you have to set up a new user account because the Admin account requires no password to access the locked folder but the second user account requires a password before viewing. If you have others using your computer it's imperative that you have a second user account for limited access.

5. 1234wanderer macrumors newbie

I would like to make my folder with a password but not with disk Utildy. How do i do it?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't AFAIK, OSX has no password mechanism for folders, other then creating an encrypted password with disk utility.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will need a 3rd party solution
    But I don't think any of them are free

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Do you have a reason for not wanting to use Disk Utility?

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

TrueCrypt.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The only reasons I can see for not wanting to use disk utility is that a folder has unlimited access to the HD whereas a dmg has to have a set size, and that you have to manually unmount the volume when you want to close it. That second one could be a problem if you are forgetful. I like dmgs because they are easily accessible (in the sidebar) and a little more portable than folders.

11. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

For me it would just be easier to have a folder that when double-clicked, asks for a password and then opens. Disk utility is a little more involved than what some people want to get involved with.

I can't believe that an app like this doesn't exist.

12. tomllama macrumors regular

Not freeware, but this will do it for folders or for an entire disk: http://www.pgp.com/products/wholediskencryption/index.html

Got a laptop or desktop that boots without a password? Got your financial information on it like Quicken? What do you plan to do if it is stolen? I added this software after thinking about it for a few minutes when the neighbors had a break-in and had the computers stolen.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why didn't you just turn on your account password and power down when you went to sleep?
    What's the point of developing an app that more or less duplicates built-in functionality when you could be developing something people would actually buy? If you "can't believe" it doesn't exist, program something yourself.

14. tomllama macrumors regular

I have an account password. An account password does nothing for an external drive or internal drives once they are stolen and a thief has access.
    (I have 4 internal drives and a 5 disk external enclosure)

15. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

As has been said before have a look at TrueCrypt

You can encrypt a whole disk, a partition or just a folder.
    TrueCrypt

Extra Info

Have a look at MacGPG

Does file encryption as well.

16. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

It really doesn't duplicate what is built in. Something like this is asked about by people all the time.

Like I said. A folder/folders that you keep anywhere on your computer that when double-clicked prompts for a password. It is simple and what people are looking for.

For me, the disk utility option isn't what I'm looking for and it's more involved that what I care to deal with. I think it's like that for a lot of people.

Lol, if I had the ability to create such an app I would. I have absolutely no idea how to do something like that. My whole point by saying I can't believe there is no such app is because I've seen many people inquire about such a thing. There's a ton of different apps out there that to me are pointless. I think this one would serve a purpose for most users.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Both the programs posted by this poster are free, OP. So, yeah, someone has made exactly what you need.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...that's exactly what an encrypted disk image does, thus defeating your point.

It's like that for a lot of people that refuse to try out the obvious solution. It literally takes 30 seconds from start to finish, maybe a minute if you read every word of the instructions.

19. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

are you serious? It is nothing like what I described as wanting. Ok, it is an option, but not at all what I described. I use it and like my idea better. It would be a simpler way for the average user and I think it is something a lot of people would use.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is it nothing like what you described? I'm willing to bet you haven't even tried it. The image sits wherever you put it on your hard drive, you double click it, it prompts you for a password, and if you enter the password successfully the image opens.

Replace "image" above with "folder" and you have exactly what you describe, almost verbatim.

21. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

I just said I use it.

There's two folders though and I'm not sure why it has to be like that. The .dmg that you click to open and then you put in your password and then the disk mounts.. Then you open that. So yea, that is nothing like having a simple folder anywhere you want it that once clicked on it would prompt for a password. Once given it would allow you into the folder.

Another thing I don't like is predetermining a size for the folder. Yea, if you want it bigger you could trash it and start over, but still, it is another difference.

I know it allows people to come close to what was being asked for, but it's not the same thing. I just happened to wonder why nothing exists as the way I described it. Considering all the stuff people create, I'm shocked it doesn't exist.

The Disk Utility option isn't difficult, but at the end of the day I'm not a fan of it. I make it work, but wish there was a more elegant solution.

22. Graceful585 macrumors member

Password Protect Files or Folders - Here are Instructions

You can password protect your files.

Go to:

Save As
    When Window opens click on "Options" lower left hand corner of box.
    Click on Security from the list on the left
    Enter password and you've protected anyone from viewing that file. Just don't forget your password or your out of luck.

:)

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

This only works with applications that support it.

The files are still visible even if you password protect them.

24. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

• Free:
      1. Disk Utility
      2. TrueCrypt
      3. Cryptor

• Not free:
      1. Knox
      2. Espionage
    [there are probably more, if you look around]

25. Graceful585 macrumors member

How are the files still visible??? I put passwords on my Word documents so I'm curious. You need the password to open up the document...guess I'm not following????