How Do I Make a Group Chat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dmac77, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi,

I'm trying to make a Google Talk group chat in iChat. I can never get to work. I read somewhere that I need to get the group chat address to start the group chat because it's a jabber chat, but how do I get the address? Could someone help me here? I'm really tired of having to use the stupid Google Talk online app.

Thanks!

Don

2. macusernick macrumors newbie

macusernick

This isn't really an answer to your question, but have you tried Adium? Adium would allow you to pretty easily make group chats with your gtalk buddies and even friends from other accounts. I use it all the time and it works very well for me.

http://adiumx.com/

If you need the A/V part of iChat though, you are out of luck at the moment with Adium. Hope this helps though!

~ mun

3. Aetles macrumors regular

Aetles

It's not as simple as it is with AIM, but there's a workaround if you kan live with a long and ugly chat room name.

These are the steps:

1) Generate a UUID, by commandline uuidgen in the Terminal or by a web generator.

2) In iChat, File -> Go to Chat Room and as room name enter private-chat-UUID@groupchat.google.com where UUID is the UUID you just generated.

Example of room name: private-chat-ff089070-ddd8-11df-85ca-0800200c9a66@groupchat.google.com

(Based on knowledge from this page.)