How Do I Make a HDD Image from old MBP to new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I want to purchase a new MBP but I have an older MBP with lots of vital files and projects saved. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer the entire hard drive image from the old Mac to the new MBP. I don't want to have to go through reinstalling every program I've ever installed, reinstalling Bootcamp and Windows, not to mention I've got plenty of projects on FCP that I'd loose. I want to be able to boot the new MBP and have things appear exactly like how they were in my old MBP. Is this possible?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've always had good luck with the Migration Assistant moving all of my applications and user data over, although it doesn't do anything for Boot Camp.

Wonder if you could use target-disk mode on your old MBP, connect your two MBPs together via a firewire cable, and boot your new MBP off of the old MBPs drive. If everything worked, then you could use something like SuperDuper to format the new drive and copy everything over from the old drive, but that's pretty in-depth.

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Some of the drivers are going to be different. You're much better off just starting with a clean install and copying files over. Second choice would be that migration assistant, but even that can mess stuff up.

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I think you are looking for Carbon Copy Cloner. With this program, you can create a bootable image disk from your current HDD, then install it on your new Macbook Pro.