How do I make a password for router/how do i open exe/dll files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JordanLB23, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

i need a setup a pw for my router. how do i do that?

and also, how can i run /open dll exe files? i heard u can use a program called wine or something.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Depends on the router and what kind of password.
    Either you can protect the router itself form accessing it via LAN or Wireless LAN, or you can set up a password for the Wireless LAN (WPA, WPA 2, WEP).

So in order to help you, you should give us some more information of what you want to do with what router model.

2. .exe files are Windows executables. Either use Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels, Fusion or Virtual Box, or use Crossover or Wine to run them in Mac OS X. MRoogle and her little sister will give you plenty of already formulated answers.

3. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

i just want a pw set up so ppl outside the house cant get onto the thing

also, which program is easiest to run exe files?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on why you are running the .exe files
    What are they supposed to be doing?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

For WINE: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Do not expect your windows program to be at all fast, or to work at all.

Modern games in Wine is generally not a good idea. However older ones will work fine (maybe with a bit of bottle tweaking).

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You're not really informative.

Look into the manual of your router, if none came with it, you can maybe find a version online if you look for it via the model number, example: "Router RTFM 562-D".
    There should be a section about setting up passwords for Wireless LAN protection. Look for WPA2 and/or WEP.

Basically you have to connect to the router via your browser and the IP address of the router, which can be 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 or ... .
    Then there is a setup assistant that should guide you through the process. If not, then look at the various options and menus the settings offer you, look for SECURITY, WPA2 or WEP.

As to .exe files, use MRoogle or Google to find many PRE-FORMULATED answers for Wine or Crossover.
    But Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion might be the easier choice. To find information about them either use MRoogle, that little sister I talked about or try Bing. Or any other 6u search engine.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

And of course you need an Intel mac to do anything useful with .exe files.