How do I make a PC keyboard behave like an Apple Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AbeFroman77, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

How do assign the F1-F12 keys on a PC keyboard to behave like the media keys on the Apple F1-F12 keys (contrast, volume, launchpad, mission control). Also how do I assign an eject key (Insert Key is the Eject Key on a Mac keyboard)

2. AbeFroman77, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW, I'm using a Filco Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard. Plugging it in I get F11 for Desktop, F12 for Dashboard, Scroll Lock (F14) and Pause (F15) for Display Brightness. The other F keys don't do anything.

3. multivac, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

multivac macrumors newbie

KeyRemap4MacBook, linked by SDub90, should do what you want. Don't be put off by "MacBook" being in the title; it works fine on all Mac hardware.

Firstly you'll need to install KeyRemap, and probably reboot.

Next, disable OS X's default shortcuts for Dashboard, Exposé, etc: System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. Untick the shortcuts to all the F1-15 keys in the Exposé & Spaces, Display, and and Dashboard & Dock settings, like so: Disable Built-in Shortcuts. These may have slightly different names if you're using OS X Lion ("Mission Control" perhaps?).

Then in the KeyboardRemap4Macbook preference pane, find the "Change F1..F19 key" section and tick "F1..F12 to Functional".

Although it shouldn't be necessary, you may also need to tick "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in the keyboard preferences.

Please let me know if this works for you; I've been considering a Filco Tenkeyless myself. :)

Edit: KeyboardRemap should also allow you to reassign the eject key; type "eject" into it's search field and then choose a binding which you like.