how do i make backup dvds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kreganmusic, Jun 8, 2011.

1. kreganmusic macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I had posted last night about my comp freezing on the apple screen. I contacted apple today and they had told me about booting with the startup disc. There's still a problem when I try to start without it but luckily I can see all my files are still there. My question is how can I create backup dvds to backup all my important files so I can then reformat the computer? Any advice would be great! Thanks guys

2. kreganmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys

Just realized I forgot to mention my comp is a Powerbook G4 running Mac OSX.

3. KwanMan macrumors regular

open dvd burning app, choose files to burn, burn

4. kreganmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey

Thanks for the quick response :) however, there is no dvd burner program option since I am booting thru the OSX disc. Is there anyway to burn the files thru the startup disc? Just to back them up so I can reformat without the fear of losing everything?

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you access to another Mac with Firewire or even a Windows PC with Firewire? Then Target Disk Mode can help.

6. kreganmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey

Thanks again for the reply man. I do have access to a Windows PC. I actually tried to Firewire it today but forgot to press the T key to transfer it *D'oh!* I will have to try that tomorrow when I have access to it again. Thanks for the advice dude. Have a great day

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I believe target disk mode only works between two macs.

You could get an external hard drive and copy files over, no?

8. simsaladimbamba

As TDM makes the Mac started in TDM behave like an external HDD, it can be read via Windows, but in order to be able to read the HFS+ format, one needs MacDrive. The 7 day trial lets one do this.