How do I make external display the main one?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, May 22, 2007.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook hooked up to an external monitor. I want to have a dual screen set up (currently just been using the external monitor by itself). However, I want the Macbok to ac as the second screen, and still use the monitor as the main screen. How do I do this? I can't seem to find a way in preferences.

When it's in dual screen mode, and I click any application in the dock, it'll always open on my Macbook screen, and it's really annoying having to drag it across all the time. How do I make a new, say Safari window, open on my monitor?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Go to monitors in sys pref and you can drag the monitors in whatever order you want them along with the menu bar.

To get Safari (and most other windows) open on the other screen open one, drag it to where you want it. Then close it. Next time you open a similar window it will open in that position.

3. tuqqer macrumors member

An important detail to add to Macboob's comment: you can click and drag just the *menu bar* in that same Display System Pref window.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thats what I meant but the words came out my arse instead of my mouth. :D

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

For visual reference, that white bar atop the larger monitor can be dragged to either monitor to indicate where the dock and menu items will go.

Attached Files: