Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I guess not HomeKit specifically since I’m not a developer. But I did just buy a handful of HomeKit accessories that i love using when I’m at home but would also enjoy using them when I’m at work, for example say my google thermostat or my Arlo doorbell camera.

How can I set it up so I have piece of mind knowing I can use these HomeKit enabled devices when I’m away from my house itself.

I also have some HomeKit light outlets that let me turn devices on and off which is nice to use. Currently have them set up to different floor lamps.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
That’s a hell of a lot you are asking in a forum. I would suggest you do a bit of research on Google.

But to start, the Google Thermostat is not compatible with HomeKit (unless you get the brand-new matter enabled version). You would have to purchase the (3rd party) Starling Hub to enable HomeKit integration.

No idea if the Arlo camera is HomeKit compatible.

But as long as you are signed into the Apple TV (assuming you’ve got a recent one) with the same Apple ID and with HomeKit enabled it will just work. You still of course have to set up all of your devices and that can vary massively from device to device. Some you can do directly through HomeKit, some you have to do via the manufacturers app.

Edit: correct some info above

Last edited:

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Yeah a lot of ppl didn’t know that Googles Nest Thermostat that new one is HomeKit compatible.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Nice. In that case make sure that you have got one of the latest Apple TVs that support matter and HomeKit and/or HomePod mini or HomePod generation 2. Both of those support matter. They will act as your home hub and give you external access.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
To access your homekit device from outside, you need a homekit home hub, which is an appleTV or hompod,

once you have one of those, and you'll have to follow these instructions very carefully

1. sign into your apple ID on that device.

and done. You should now have the same to access your homekit devices anywhere you have Internet, no matter if you're at home or away.

If you are sharing your home with people, you can enable or disable their remote access per user. I think it defaults to them being able to access from outside your house.

There is an option (or at least there used to be) to disable the appleTVs as a home hub, but that should default to the home hub being enabled, so unless you've changed it, it should work.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
As others have said your Apple TV will automatically become a HomeKit hub as long as you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to set up your Home app and the Apple TV is connected to the same network. From there you can control your connected devices from anywhere.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Just a note. If you have more than one ATV or Homepods, they all can serve as the hub. One will be connected and the others standby. If the connected one is turned off/unpluged/disconnected/etc a standby hub will be "active"

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Just a note. If you have more than one ATV or Homepods, they all can serve as the hub. One will be connected and the others standby. If the connected one is turned off/unpluged/disconnected/etc a standby hub will be "active"

Prior to the current TVOS 17.x, one would designate a single ATV to be the hub. Apparently Apple has the bugs of multiple hubs worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.