How do I make my app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by curtishd, Jun 25, 2009.

1. curtishd macrumors member

Okay I have a few ideas that would be great for apps but have no idea how to do this but I am smart and can learn fast. Anyone have any ideas of how a regular guy can make an app? Please point me in the right direction and don't be affraid to be detailed.

2. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

What's the idea, maybe I can help (iphone developer...) :)

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

AKA steal

4. TheSquad macrumors member

First of all, my advice is to check top to bottom the AppStore to see if your idea isn't on AppStore Already.

Then, you will have to learn coding.
    Making an App isn't so easy, lot's of knowledge is required.
    Sure you can make a flashlight easily, but I think you won't.

There is tons of tutorial on the net for iPhone development, but in every one of them they will tell you that you will understand the tutorial only if you have knowledge of the C/C++ development !

I do not want to discourage you, but if you really don't know how to code, my advice is to find someone that does, and start an association with him.

5. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Go to the Stanford University site:

http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/index.php

They ran a 10 week class on programming for the iPhone (1 hour @ 2x per week). The class was run by two guys from Apple. Every class was video recorded and posted on iTunes. In addition, every demo/project - with source code - was also posted. you can download everything from that site.

The class was top-notch, and for the low, low price of FREE, you are getting all the material that students of Stanford PAID to get.

Please note that this material will NOT stay online for very long. From the Standford site:

"The content will remain available for most of the summer, but towards the end of the summer it will be taken down and the materials will no longer be available. It would be a good idea to download all the materials you need now so that when the website is cleaned you're not left missing stuff. Once it's gone, it's gone."

So, get all that material NOW!

Also - and this is obvious - make sure you get XCode and the iPhone 3.0 SDK material from Apple. You'll need it if you want to write the code that was presented in the class - and of course, for your own development work. To get started, you don't need to spend the $99 to register as a developer.

There are also books on programming for the iPhone; however, I would start with watching the Stanford videos and see what you think.

Good luck!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

6. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

I'm not that kind of guy...

But anyway, good luck Curtishd if you decide to code it yourself. Learning the iPhone SDK is rewarding and quite enjoyable. If you find yourself struggling though you are welcome to talk to me :) I'm working on some projects right now, but I've got some free time for another :)

Stanford CS 193P course is great, all you really need after that is the Apple docs and IRC (freenode, #iphonedev).