Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
How can i use it as a flash drive to make it work with WINDOWS and MAC computers?

I can transfer files when its connected to my macbook, but cant see files when its connected to a windows PC
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Is it formatted for win (FAt32) or for mac(HFS).
PC's can't read HFS but mac's have no prob. on Fat32.

But in a final note the iPod could be NTFS, in this case OS X can read but not write to the iPod. My advice would be to use Fat32 if you are using win and mac but you need to use a PC to upadte if usinf Fat32

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Different file systems.

You can buy a program for windows that lets you read the Mac OS X file system (HFS+).

I personally don't know if formatting it for windows makes it NTFS or FAT32. FAT32 you can read and write in both systems but you cannot have a single file over 4GB in size. NTFS is read only on macs.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
farqueue said:
How can i use it as a flash drive to make it work with WINDOWS and MAC computers?

I can transfer files when its connected to my macbook, but cant see files when its connected to a windows PC
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Unless you really want to use your iPod, you might consider a dedicated Thumb Drive for this purpose.

With an iPod, you can get into library issues when connecting to different computers. In some cases, if you mess up, you could automatically sync to the wrong library and loose what you have on the iPod.

With Thumb Drives getting so cheap, it is a much easier solution.

Anyhow, just some food for thought.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I'm pretty sure the old style iPod Shuffles had this ability, and I think they were all formated in FAT32.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
nosen said:
I'm pretty sure the old style iPod Shuffles had this ability, and I think they were all formated in FAT32.

They were MSDOS formatted, not FAT32.

Maybe they were FAT32? I don't know, I'm massively drunk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.