How do I make my "Pedestal" Imac wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BTB0923, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BTB0923 macrumors newbie

I have a 2002 "pedestal" Imac like the one in the attached picture. I just got a wireless internet router and I would like to be able to wirelessly connect to internet. What is the best thing to get for my Imac to make it wireless? I'm more concerned with connection speed than cost.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Awfdixon macrumors newbie

iMac G4 Wireless

Yours is an iMac G4.

Because there are several versions of the iMac G4, with different wireless cards I'd need to know which it is before continuing.

You can find out the model by entering your serial number here:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

(Click Apple Menu --> About this Mac --> More Info and your serial number will be displayed on that page).

It should say something like iMac G4 (Flat Panel).

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Probably the easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge.

4. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I entered the serial number and got this:

~VIN,iMac (17-inch Flat Panel, 1GHz)

Is that enough info?

What is a wireless bridge?

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Unfortunately, your Mac was made before wireless cards were standard. Basically, your Mac can connect wirelessly to the Internet if you get a wireless card for it. Given the age of the iMac, however, you need a specific type of card that goes back a few years.

What you need is an original AirPort card. You can probably find them on eBay. Here's one from a fairly popular site for older Macs.

6. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, I will def check those out on eBay. Is there a cheaper alternative, like something I could just plug into one of the USB drives?

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

An ethernet bridge is a little device that plugs into your ethernet port. That'll get you online as well. Take a look around online... they'll probably be called either a "game adapter" or just simply an "ethernet bridge".

8. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks! Out of all of my options what would probably have the best/fastest connection speed?

9. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just bought one of these.....ORIGINAL APPLE WIRELESS AirPort CARD 630-2883/C. It should work right? Is installation difficult? I'm assuming I just get inside the imac through the plate on the bottom.

ORIGINAL APPLE WIRELESS AirPort CARD 630-2883/C

Attached Files:

10. Shownarou macrumors regular

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

^^ Looks like the one out of my powerbook I think the ones that go in iMacs are a lot smaller

Attached Files:

12. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Admittedly I should have researched more before I bought this card, but I think I may have gotten lucky and purchased the right one. Reason being is I found installation instructions for my Imac on the Mac website and the card in the pictures is the same one I bought:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2993

13. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I opened up my Imac and took a look at the slot where the card is supposed to be installed and I think maybe you guys are right. What I actually need is an Airport Extreme card. Will that work with my wireless router or will it require that I buy an mac airport station to get internet to it?

14. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh, ouch. Yeah, the older G4 iMacs used the card you bought--the expensive, hard-to-find "regular" AirPort card. The later ones--which you appear to have, if it's a 1GHz model--use the newer, relatively easier to find, and faster AirPort Extreme card.

That's kind of on ziggyonice, although it's an understandable mistake--I'd forgotten that the later ones used the newer cards myself until I checked EveryMac. An article, for future reference:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...imac-g4-how-to-upgrade-airport-bluetooth.html

As for the issue at hand, yes, if you get the correct card--the Airport Extreme one pictured--that will definitely work with your wireless router. Wireless is, thankfully, standard, so regardless of the model/manufacturer of the router your iMac will be able to connect to it. You'll also likely get all the speed necessary out of said card; if you have an "n" router you won't be able to connect at maximum speed, but unless you're transferring data from one computer on the same network to another even "g" wireless will be far faster than your internet connection.

Bottom line, get the right card and you're in business once it's installed and the antenna cable is plugged in (harder than it sounds--I'm surprised at how easy it is to think you've got it connected when it's not quite fully in). The good news is the resale value on those old AirPort cards is very good, since they're the only wireless option for older G4 iMacs and older iBooks.

Heck, I was wishing for one myself for my parents' 700MHz G4 iMac which, unlike yours, DOES use the old cards.

16. BTB0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Makosuke! very helpful post. I will get one of the Airport Extreme cards off ebay...they seem relatively cheap.

BTW, no biggie ziggy :D Despite you guys saying that the older airport cards are hard to find I managed to get mine for only $10. Maybe I can even make a profit on the re-sale ;).

17. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Damn, that's my fault there. I was thinking of the earlier gen. model.

Sorry about that BTB :( On the bright side, that's a really good deal to find it for $10! I bought one myself a couple years back and I payed almost $100. Glad it worked out though.

18. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Me too! And the real clincher is that I only paid $200 for the iBook I was putting it into.

Bear in mind that AirPort, AirPort Extreme, ethernet, USB WiFi adapters, and ethernet bridges are all orders of magnitude faster than the average residential internet connection. Don't be concerned with speed there. It's all in the router.

19. Makosuke macrumors 603

Holy smokes! If I saw one for ten bucks I'd buy it just to have on hand, if not resell at a tidy profit.

If you're lucky, that mistake could easily pay for the card you actually need.

20. meonpeter macrumors newbie

Cheap and good option

Buy yourself an edimax EW-7711Uan USB wireless adaptor, cost is £11 approx sterling. Problem solved, comes with the drivers you need for OSx 10.4
    It's an "n" adaptor and works with g and b, cos it's USB you can use it with other kit as well.