How do I make my taskbar look translucent in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheScavenger, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

My girlfriend just bought a new MacBook with Leopard. Her taskbar is translucent. How do I change the taskbar on my PowerBook with Leopard to look transparent?

Thanks, Josh

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can. If you look through the forums you'll see people saying it's dependent on the video card and I don't think the PowerBooks are capable of the transparency effect.

3. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

According to apple you cannot. I have the same power book, with a Go Force 5200 video card, which apple lists as one that won't.

I hope they change this at some point, because it obviously could be feasible if the powerbook can run the new dock.

4. TheScavenger thread starter macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

All of the drop-down menus from the taskbar are translucent as well as the backgrounds for stacks open via the dock. I don's see how this isn't possible.

5. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

It has something to do with Core Image being used vs Quartz. I am with you, it should obviously be possible. I would like it to be updated into leopard for our video cards rather than have to get a 3rd party app.

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

From what I understand, the menu bar uses not only the translucent effect (which it can do) but also a shader effect to make it look some what rounded. That's the call that the video card doesn't have.

Why make it solid instead of just a flat translucent bar, where most people wouldn't even notice the difference anyway? Got me. I think that was a bad call on Apple's part.

8. adamtcr macrumors newbie

The Transparency effect as well as the swirling gasses/flying stars effect from Time Machine will not work on any PowerPC based Mac, only the Intel based Macs support Leopards core animations and effects :apple:

I know it sucks...one of my main computers is a PowerMac G4 while my mobile is a MacBook with full support for Leopard.