How Do I Make Phone Calls Through My iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jetheat, May 17, 2009.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

This may sound odd, but I have a perfectly good landline phone sitting next to my iMac.

However, I prefer to speak and listen (handsfree) through my iMac.

Is there a way that I can make and receive phone calls on my Mac.

I know i can use Skype, but I want to make and receive calls which come in on my regular home phone landline.

Do I need a special router or something else?

I'm in the UK.

Any ideas/suggestions?

JH

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can send and receive faxes using the Apple USB Modem, but I don't know of a way to connect for voice calls. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

I know you don't want to use Skype, but one alternative might be to purchase a SkypeIn number for the purpose. I'm not sure if you're aware of that aspect of the service, so I thought I'd mention it.

Apologies for the possibly-useless reply.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

IF I understand VOIP correctly (and it may well turn out that I don't :eek:), it's possible that you could route your landline to Skype. It's not exactly what you're asking, since it includes an extra step (Skype), but it may serve your purposes.

Take a look at this and see if maybe I'm right.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=92902

4. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i know through BT you can get something called Fusion which is where you link your mobile phone up with your wireless and make calls from the mobile over voip. I know this isn't what you are looking for but maybe another option? BT use the O2 and the Vodafone networks.

5. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

All good answers but I think it's not exactly as I want.

I'm looking for a way to keep my existing Landline number and receive/make calls on that number yet have those calls coming in through my computer in addition to my landline.

So although I can get an additional Skype number, that wont show outgoing calls as being through my landline number, nor will it receive calls on my landline number.

Any ideas?