How do I make ringtones?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Are there any free apps I can use to take a song I import from iTunes and make a ringtone out of it?

I need to know how to do it from after the import on.

Thanks for the help.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
cmm said:
Are there any free apps I can use to take a song I import from iTunes and make a ringtone out of it?

I need to know how to do it from after the import on.

Thanks for the help.
Yep, drag the file to your desktop (or wherever), use Audacity to cut out the clip you want, save it as an MP3, and transfer it to the Audio folder on your phone.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I used MP3 Cutter to make a ringtone and then transferred the file through Bluetooth.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
cmm said:
How do I make the audio folder on my phone?
If it doesn't have one, you can't create ringtones. Everyone is also assuming your phone supports MP3 ringtones in the first place.

What kind of phone do you have, and what method of connecting it to your computer do you use?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
matticus008 said:
If it doesn't have one, you can't create ringtones. Everyone is also assuming your phone supports MP3 ringtones in the first place.

What kind of phone do you have, and what method of connecting it to your computer do you use?
I am connecting through bluetooth and it has an audio folder. So, I import the song, set it up in audacity, then clip the song, save it and drag it to the audio folder?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
cmm said:
I am connecting through bluetooth and it has an audio folder. So, I import the song, set it up in audacity, then clip the song, save it and drag it to the audio folder?
Yes. You probably have to adjust the bitrate (many phones require 64kbps for mp3 ringtones), but other than that, you're good to go. Clip, do fade in/out as appropriate, and copy the file (make sure it has a short and simple file name and be careful not to overwrite the actual song file).

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I have the 'LameLib.bundle'. Where do I install this so audacity sees it so I can export the mp3?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
cmm said:
I have the 'LameLib.bundle'. Where do I install this so audacity sees it so I can export the mp3?
Wherever you want. I tossed mine in Library>Application Support, but you could put it in your Utilities folder. When you use the export command, it'll ask you where Lame is located.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I got that now I am trying to record the 30 second piece. I pressed play then the red button but when I export it to mp3 and then import it back to listen to it, I get the full song?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
cmm said:
I got that now I am trying to record the 30 second piece. I pressed play then the red button but when I export it to mp3 and then import it back to listen to it, I get the full song?
You don't need the record button at all. Use the cut markers to make your selection, then trim the excess and export.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You can do the same thing entirely in iTunes. Get info (cmd-I) on the audio file, then click on the Options button. Set the start and end time where you want the file clipped, click OK. Now convert the file using the Advanced menu (making certain that the conversion is set to MP3 in Preferences under Advanced/Import Options). You can also set the bitrate.