How do I make the firewall block ICMP echos?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Right, so I just set up personal hotspot on my iPhone and am using it to connect to the internet over my 3G network. All of that seems to be working perfectly, but I have one issue.

I did the Shields Up! security test and it was all green with all ports blocked but it told me that I'd failed the test because my computer responded to ICMP requests.

I found this odd because I have the firewall set to block all incoming connections and it's in stealth mode, which System Preferences tells me specifically blocks ICMP. Clearly not.

So I installed IceFloor so I could try and block it through that. I set it so only system services were allowed to connect and installed the scripts, but the test still tells me my computer responded to the ICMP requests.

What do I do? Is there a way I can use the advanced settings in IceFloor to block ICMP requests? Or somehow fix the built in OS X firewall so it blocks them?

Thanks.

2. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Do not install IceFloor.

It just made my computer completely unresponsive, no software worked and I had to reboot into safe mode to remove the startup scripts. I'm not the only person who had this problem either. My computer seems to be fine now I've removed IceFloor's scripts, but what unreliable software that is. This is on OS X Lion with all updates installed.

Now I'm back to my original problem of how to fix the ICMP requests.

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Right, after messing about with IPFW for ages and not getting anywhere, I eventually realised this issue was coming from the iPhone itself, not my Mac. I did the test on the iPhone and it gives the same result, so I guess that's where the problem is.

I'm not too worried now but out of curiosity, is there some sort of Cydia firewall app for the iPhone?

4. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

The chances are the responses you are getting may well in fact be coming from the 3G Network and nothing localised to you.

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Good point, I reckon I'll just leave it. Thanks.