how do i migrate everything (incuding os) from mac to mac without firewire?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richardjames, Jun 28, 2014.

1. richardjames macrumors newbie

hi... i've just got a "new", second-hand macbook to replace my old, old one... i want to transfer everything, including the os (which is more recent), from the old machine to the new one, but the new one doesn't have a firewire port... what is the best way to do this?... thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Either get a TB to Firewire adapter and maybe cable or get a TB to Ethernet adapter and use a Gigabit Ethernet cable to migrate.
    Or remove the HDD from the old MBP and put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs, they should cost around 20 €.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I used an Ethernet cable (assuming both Macs have one. The advantage to this is you probably already have one. Just leave it transferring overnight rather than sit and watch the progress bar.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

I migrated from iMac to iMac using an Ethernet cable.

I dont think migrating the OS is likely to work though or even if it did, is advisable. I would install OSX afresh on the "new old" macbook, and use Migration Assistant via machine to machine or Time Machine disk, to migrate data and apps across.

5. mike08b macrumors newbie

Probably easiest and fastest to use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to put your data on a USB hard drive.