How do I migrate from one Mac to another?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flipdoubt, Apr 13, 2010.

1. flipdoubt macrumors member

In a few days, I will migrate from a three-year old MBP to a new one. I have done this many times on PCs, but this will be the first time I migrate on a Mac. How do I move programs, specifically Fusion and Things, from one Mac to another? Do I need to "reinstall"? Are they somehow registered to the hardware?

2. flipdoubt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link to the Migration Assistant, but that page says nothing about applications. I can figure out how to move files, but does the Migration Assistant also move Applications? Especially licensed apps like Fusion and Things?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, it moves Applications.

[​IMG]

4. flipdoubt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! The original article is not super-clear about applications, but your screenshot sure is. Coming from the Windows world, using a migration program to move apps is either counter-indicated or out-right impossible. In your experience, does this process usually work? Has anyone tried to migrate Fusion or Things?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Things should be more than simple and VMWare Fusion too, as they really don't have that many files.

Maybe use the bastard of Google, called MRoogle to look for specific answers.

Btw, Things most probably stores its information in the Library / Application Support folder, and VMWare Fusion stores the VMs in Users / YOU / Documents / Virtual Machines. That means, one can manually copy them if one wants to.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As the MacOS does not—and never has—used anything akin to the abomination known as the Registry, moving nearly anything is a simple "drag 'n' drop" (aka mv) process. There are precious few apps that have critical hooks anywhere outside of the app itself, everything else is usually found in the associated Library/Application Support folders; and keeping in minds they're just simple, independent files, just as easy to relocate.

For all but a few badly ported apps, migration "just works". ;)

7. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Migration assistant with a Firewire 800 cable (providing both Macs support it) is a great EASY way to migrate from one mac to another.

applications/utilities/migration assistant

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I migrated to a new MBP last year and was running smooth in less than 2 hours. Some application require you re-enter the key.