How do i mount a SMB drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Forkaster, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Forkaster macrumors member

Hi,

I am using Leopard 10.5.1. With tiger i was able to mount a Disk that is connected via ethernet to my router as a SMB drive, i could see all folders and files on the disk.

Now in leopard, i can't see them, i can mount the smb share but i can not see any file in there, if i attempt to create/copy files or folders they immediately disappear.

Am i doing something wrong? Or is this a known issue with leopard?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not a known issue, anyway--I only tried it once, but I'm not having any issues doing that.

Is it showing up when you browse to it, or just when you enter the smb:// address directly. If you haven't already tried this, what happens if you use the Finder's connect window and enter smb://[servername]/[sharename]? Does it mount that share properly, or do you get an error of some sort?

3. scising macrumors newbie

Accessing smb drives in Leopard 10.5.2

I'm still unable to connect to pc drives on my network. The attached file shows the error message when I try to connect from 'connect to server', otherwise all the network volumes show on the Finder sidebar, but connection fails when I select them. None of the volumes are behind a firewall, I've double checked Windows (XP Pro) firewall is off, and they can all connect to each other.

Any suggestion please?

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Actually, .2 finds PC's on my network without problems, whereas .1 did.

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Try right clicking on the Finder Icon in the dock, go to "connect to server" then type in smb://000.000.000.000 Substitute the 0s for the IP you want to connect to (ex. smb://192.168.0.1), then push Connect.

6. scising macrumors newbie

Accessing smb drives in 10.5.2

Hi thanks, I did try that and get the error message that the URL syntax is wrong; but i've attached a shot which shows it's correct. I still get the same message if I type only the smb://000.000.0.00/ portion of the URL

I can ping the volume from the console without problems.

Attached Files:

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Thats really weird that it would give you that error since smb:// is what you are using, but says isn't found. hmm...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

The fact that the error you're getting is saying that isn't a recognized URL scheme, when it certainly is, indicates that this isn't just a "can't see network volume" issue--it's something else going wrong. That is, it's apparently coughing up an error on a perfectly valid SMB URL, so the request to mount the drive probably isn't even getting to the point where it actually does anything.

As for why, I'm kinda lost--attempts to mount smb:// URLs work as expected on my 10.5.2 MBP and a 10.5.1 G5 tower as well.

Did you install 10.5.2 from the combo updater? If not, maybe try downloading that and reinstalling it. At least in some situations, that can help with odd problems.

Also, you might try creating a new user account and see if it happens there too--sounds like it's probably not a preference-level issue, but on the off chance it is it's a quick test.

9. scising macrumors newbie

Can't mount smb:// drives

Thanks for the advice, I reinstalled 10.5.2 from the combo updater - no help. I think I'm going to back up my user, format the drive, reinstall 10.5 from the discs and then go direct to 10.5.2 using the combo updater.

10. dezaelez macrumors newbie

----
    Thank you very much for this tip. It worked on my machine!
    :D