How do I mount all volumes of my external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bryan21, Oct 6, 2007.

1. bryan21 macrumors newbie

I have seagate external drive, and today I notice that my tivo transfer folder was gone. All the files are still there, but apparently, the drive now mounts as "Mac External/Volumes/Mac External 4"

To my surprise, my tivo files are on Mac external 3, however I can not get that to mount except when I open my tivo transfer program, I see they are still there, plus I'm able to see there is also volumes 1 & 2.

How do I mount all the volumes of my external drive 1,2,3,& 4? I want to delete all these extra volumes and just have 1. I have no idea how I ended up with all these different volumes.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bizarre. Disk Utility should let you mount all the volumes.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

probably because OS X renames similarly named volumes by putting a number at the end.

ive got two volumes called Files and in /volumes ive got "Files" and "Files1". hope that clears up your question. my tip would be to give your volumes different names. i know which volume is which on my comp because ones a partition and ones an external.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On a properly partitioned external drive, OS X should always automatically mount all the partitions.

What do you mean by this? It's your drive. How can you not know how it got to be partitioned? Did it not have 4 partitions at some time in the past? :confused:

Show a screenshot of what it looks like in Disk Utility.