How do I move a Photos library to new TB MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by status.six, Dec 7, 2016.

1. status.six macrumors newbie

Hi

Can anybody kindly point me to a guide to moving my Photos library from my MacBook Retina to my new MacBook Pro. I literally only want my photos off my old machine so don't want to use migration assistant which will bring settings and files. I also want to be sure my 300GB library remains synced to my iCloud without having to re-upload or anything like that. It seems like a simple task but also has complexities such as how do I tell iCloud the library to sync with is the one on the new MBP not the old version of it on the MB...

Thanks in advance:)

2. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

When I got my new MacBook Pro, I simply copied the Photos Library file located in my Pictures folder on my other Mac and pasted it into the same place on the new machine. I then started up the Photos app and it loaded everything. To test the syncing of iCloud, I took a pic with my iPhone and within a few seconds it was on my new machine as expected.

3. status.six thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I'm being over cautious but with such a large library and such poor broadband speeds I don't want to get in a situation with duplicates or broken iCloud syncing.

Any thoughts on what would happen if I signed in to iCloud photos on my new MBP and let the icloud high res pictures download onto the new machine. My download internet speeds are much faster than upload!

4. richinaus macrumors 6502a

Put it on an external hard drive and copy over. Easy.
    The library works off an external drive anyway so I would leave it on there once copied to it, to save SSD space. If you work it out, it is cheaper to have your music, photos and files on the cloud than paying extra for more SSD space...........

Yes you could put them up to the cloud, but it does take ages - dont do it if your connection isn't great.