how do I move finished books off iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Nov 1, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

My hard drive is getting crowded. I'd like to make room for other items. How do I move books, podcasts, TV shows, etc that I want to keep, but don't want on iTunes to an external HD. I want to be able to easily identify what these items are.

Am I correct in assuming that even those these items are unchecked, but still on iTunes, that they are on my HD??

Thanks.

Frank

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes, they are still on your harddrive, but won't be copied to your iPod.

You should be able to drag the items from your iTunes interface to an external drive. It will only copy them. Make sure they are on the external, then go back and delete them from iTunes. At that point you should get a confirmation message that you wish to move the items to the trash. Confirm that message, then empty your trash to permanently delete them from your harddrive.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was playing around with this stuff this morning and found that by using ITunes.. File-Backup to Disc, I could make a backup of my iTunes library. Took 4 DVD's. I then erased a few Biography's from A&E, inserted the DVD's back in and just clicked the Restore button and my previously erased files were restored.

I'm using Leopard now, and have been using Time Machine (TM). I went to TM and found the files, but they were locked and could not be restored??? That I don't understand?????

>>drag the items from your iTunes interface to an external drive. It will only copy them.<<

Humm, that works too. Terrific!!! I have a huge My Book WD 500 gig external HD that I use as a backup. I was able to drag the files to the WD, then delete the files from iTunes, drag them back from the WD and play them. Great. Thanks. I think I'll use both the DVD and WD to back up my iTunes library. I'd hate to lose this stuff.<g>

BTW, do you know if I can use BootCamp to install and run XP from my external WD HD??

Frank

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That would be knowledge above my current intellect. I'm sure someone here can answer that question, though.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was at the Apple Store a few days ago and asked. They told me that XP had to be installed on an internal drive.

Frank