How do I move multiple files from different folders all to one folder.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kahnyl, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

For example, my iTunes folder. It's got multiple artist folders, and album folders within those. Is there any app that would allow me to get all the media files from all of those folders into one single folder?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

You don't want to mess with the layout of your iTunes folder or iTunes will lose track of the files. It keeps a database of your library.

For other folders, you could search for a common part of the name or extension and drag them from the search window to a new folder.

3. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I just realised I could do it with Spotlight.

And I thought iTunes could figure out where files move to? When I add a song from the Downloads folder and then move it to a music folder iTunes never has a problem finding it. I think it might have had problem with it on Windows, but I don't remember exactly.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

I've had mixed results with moving itunes items. Sometimes if it stays within the iTunes folder, it can refind them automatically. But I have movies outside of the itunes folder that can get lost. So, in general, it's best to avoid changing the iTunes folder.

5. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I bit the bullet and tried it earlier. I backed up my iTunes Library files, selected all tracks in iTunes, Moved to Trash, closed iTunes, replaced it's library files with the backups, moved the music from Trash to one folder in /Music and iTunes found everything. I kept all my ratings, playcounts etc.

I have /Music set as my iTunes folder so it might indeed be OK to move files around in there.