Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I had a Powerbook and it had some problems so I'm getting a Macbook Pro. I duplicated my drive with Superduper right before I sent the Powerbook in the last time. Once I get the MBP, is there a way I can move my iTunes library to it? I can reinstall everything else easy enough, but I'm slightly concerned about all my songs.
I probably have 90% of my songs on one of my PCs, but I have always connected my iPods to the PB so I want to have 100% of my songs.

Thanks in advance.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I had a Powerbook and it had some problems so I'm getting a Macbook Pro. I duplicated my drive with Superduper right before I sent the Powerbook in the last time. Once I get the MBP, is there a way I can move my iTunes library to it? I can reinstall everything else easy enough, but I'm slightly concerned about all my songs.
I probably have 90% of my songs on one of my PCs, but I have always connected my iPods to the PB so I want to have 100% of my songs.

Thanks in advance.

just copy all your songs over to your mbpro in one folder on the desktop for ex. then open itunes, set the preferences to copy added songs to library, then drag the folder to your itunes dock icon, itunes will start and copy all your songs in its library, when finish check all is there and delete the folder.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
What Deadpixels said is right, however if you want to save all your ratings and playlists do this.

Copy your Music folder from your old PowerBook (you said you used SuperDuper, I have never used that unfortunately, so I have no idea if you can get directly to that folder) in its entirety including the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files. Set this folder somewhere safe
Get your MBP
Start it up and install all updates
After iTunes has updated, open it up... oops, big empty library, but that's ok
Quit iTunes
Now, copy the contents of your old music folder (including the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library files) to the iTunes folder in the MBP's Music folder. Let it replace the old files there.

Now, Double click the iTunes Library icon where you just copied the music. iTunes will open and all your stuff should be there.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I guess the main question is, will I be able to go directly to my itunes folder. I'm not an expert using Superduper, but I'm hoping I can explore the external drive and simply copy the folder. I guess this question will be answered when I get the MBP.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just use Migration Assistant to migrate your old stuff from the SuperDuper! clone back onto your new MacBook Pro: iTunes library, applications, settings, the works.

If you do a clean install on the MacBook Pro (to get rid of unwanted languages, printer drivers and/or iLife applications) it will - at one point - ask you if you want to migrate over your things from a previous system, just hook up the external (could be either USB2 or FireWire), say yes and specify what you want migrated and wait patiently while Migration Assistant takes care of everything.

If you don't want to do a reinstall you can run Migration Assistant from /Appliications/Utilities/ but just beware that it may make another user account with the migrated stuff and not merge it with your current account (or at least that's what it used to do, I haven't tried this way in a while).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.