How do i move programs from a computer to another?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VilhelmI, Nov 10, 2008.

1. VilhelmI macrumors newbie

I have bought the new Macbook Pro and I want to move my programs from my old mac to my new one. How do I do this without damaging the files?
    Do I have to include a lot of trash files or can I just move the .app file over?
    I´m using Logic, can you move project files only without moving the program?
    Thanks/Vilhelm

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Best way is to install from scratch or use Migration Assistant.

Very few complex (Like Logic etc) programs survive a simple drag-and-drop transfer between computers.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

A lot of small apps are completely self contained- ie. you can just drag the .app file over to your new Mac.

You wont find that with larger programs though, for that you will need to reinstall.

4. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

bear in mind though, that those small apps that can be simply drag'n'dropped usually have set a preference file so if you just move them then u will lose any changes/settings you've done to them.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the little apps that you download and are installed via drag will just work although the shareware apps may ask you for your license again.

the large applications suites that come on CDs like Office, Creative Suite, Logic etc. which are installed with Installer probably wont work if you just transfer the apps over. you will have to install them again

although you could probably try searching for their library and system files/folder by typing the application name into a Finder search with the "System files - included" search parameter added and note their location.

6. sclough macrumors regular

While I agree that I would try to re-install large apps, if you are going to copy apps over, I would recommend using AppCleaner. While it's typically used for deleting apps, you can select an app and do a search. It shows you all the files associated with the app. That way, you can not only copy the app over but also your preferences and other associated files.

I'm not sure that it would be thorough enough for a big app (i.e. one needing an installer) that might install other libraries. However, if you're going to do the copy thing (which should work fine for smaller apps), I would use AppCleaner to find what else you need to move other than the app.