How do I move stuff to my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PNGento, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PNGento macrumors member

How do I get stuff off a friends MBPro? Stuff like photos, ripped video he has taken? He has a video he took that is over 600MB...too big to email.

Does the ipad not show up as an AirDrop item? when the ipad gets plugged into the MBPro, should it not show up as a drive?

why does ipad not have any direct input option, such as sdcard, USB, etc?

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The easiest way to do it would be to use dropbox. You would both need an account (5GB free) and then just create and share a folder.

He would copy/move the files you want into the folder and a short time later they will appear in your folder on your MacBook.

It depends of course on the size of the files on how long it would take.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sorry I forgot you were asking about the iPad. Same as above except you'll have to download each file as it becomes available.

EDIT: sorry didn't get enough sleep last night and not thinking straight.

With the iPad version you can download/sync folders. You don't have to download each file separately.

4. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

Is it not possible to do without using the internet? I work in the jungles of New Guinea and the internet sucks (slow and unreliable). is there NO way to do a transfer without having to upload to the internet? Seems like a really dumb way of forcing ipad users to work.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Transfer the files from his MBP to the system you sync your ipad to?

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Dumb or not it is what it is.

You can use this http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This is the last big issue standing in the way of global dominance of the iPad over the PC IMHO :) But given my proclivities (see my signature...) of course I would feel that way!

I've worked out a pretty great file system work around, though it does require an Internet connection and so doesn't suit your needs sorry to say. But it basically goes like this...

Use a pointer to sync your Mac's Documents folder with Dropbox. Use dropDAV to get files in and out of Dropbox into apps on your iPad. For example, I can open an existing word/pages doc in Pages on my iPad, tweak it, and save it back to Dropbox. That in turn syncs to Documents on my Mac. Presto: my entire file archive lives on my Mac, synced to the Dropbox cloud, and can be easily accessed bi-directionally on the iPad.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If your friend's computer is connected to a wifi network, then you can use file management apps like GoodReader or FileBrowser to copy the files onto your iPad over wifi. They wouldn't go into your main media library though, they'd just be files sitting in the app you used to transfer it, and in order to play them, you'd have to go into the file management app rather than being able to play them from the video or music players. In order to do that, you would have to transfer the files to your main computer, and sync them to your iPad through iTunes. That is easier done by copying the files to USB flash drives than using the iPad.

Oh, and you might also want to look into media playing apps that play non-Apple compatible formats. They also often have an option to upload files to iPad over wifi.

9. buck2520 macrumors newbie

Get a camera connection kit or reliable equivalent. Easy to buy on Amazon or Ebay.

How to use SD cards for extra iPad video storage
    Now that the iPad 2 has video capabilities, storage on the device is more important than ever. According to commenter "nigelgoodman" at Mac OS X Hints, you can create a workaround using SD cards and the iPad's Camera Connection Kit to get extra storage for your media.
    Videos stored on an SD card can be imported with the Camera Connection Kit when formatted properly.

Formatting your SD card
    First, you must set up your SD card. In order for the iPad to recognize your media files, it has to think that the card you store your media on is from a camera.
    To do this, set the folder structure to something of the type created on a card that's used in a camera, for example: DCIM > 100DICAM >
    Any media you want to be able to import to your iPad should be placed in the 100DICAM folder.

Formatting your media files
    Now that your SD card is properly set up, you need to be sure your video files are recognized.
    The first thing you must do is ensure that your files are H.264-compliant. You can use free encoding software like HandBrake, which has an iPad preset, to properly encode your files.

Once your files are compatible with your iPad, you must rename them. The name must be eight digits with sequential numbers, just like when a camera takes pictures, for example: DSC_0001, DSC_0002, and so on.
    Import to your iPad

Place the renamed files in your 100DICAM folder and plug your SD card into your iPad via the Camera Connection Kit.
    You will be asked to import files. Choose the ones you wish to add to your iPad and they will be imported to the Photos app, from which they can be played. Obviously with the numbered files it may be tough to remember which file is which, so be sure to make yourself a key.

10. amesgardner macrumors newbie

Worked PERFECTLY.... I only used once folder "DCIM", used your naming structure and it imported pics and .m4v video converted from Handbrake. AWESOME... thanks. Wish we didnt need the goofy names structure, but it is a excellent quickly get data in solution.

11. amesgardner, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

amesgardner macrumors newbie

WAIT! Darn, it did import the .jpg no problem. Imported the video too, but it only put it in the camera app and it will not play. Bummer. Thoughts? Or any direction would be great. I tried again. This time the video DID play from the pictures app. Not sure what I did differently. Will try a few more today and update. Thank for sharing.

12. StylusZero macrumors newbie

Try using DropBox it is very easy to use and it is free. Just post here if you encounter any problems.

13. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

+1 ... GoodReader is a nice little tool. You can use it in a WiFi server mode and copy data over to the iPad. Or what I do I copy files from my iMac via Shared folders (AFP protocol).