How do I move the iPhoto 6 library to iPhoto 09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by secondfox, Sep 13, 2009.

1. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

I am moving from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and I'm in the process of transferring my files and such. I have two Macs and an external HD with my last computer all backed up.

How do I move my library (with all the albums intact) to iPhoto 8 (the 09 version)? Can I just replace the new iPhoto folder with the old one?

I tried to import the old iPhoto folder. All the pictures imported, and it kept the film rolls, but all the albums were gone.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Take the iPhoto library folder from your backup/other Mac, put that into ~/Pictures on the 10.6 system. It will not replace the other one because in new versions of iPhoto the library is a package, think of it as zip file, its a folder in reality but treated as a file by the computer. Delete the package (the one with the iPhoto icon), launch iPhoto with the option key held down, choose the Other Library button in the lower left, and point it at the folder you just migrated, then click Open. iPhoto will warn you the library needs to be upgraded. This will take some time (depends on how large the library is) but after its done all your images and library structure should be present. You can be walked through this by an AppleCare agent since you get the 90 days software support that comes with upgraded software on a computer, or if you have the AppleCare extended support agreement.

3. MrAtariMac macrumors newbie

iPhoto '06 to iPhoto '09

This worked. A little grooming is still required (and not sure if ALL pictures made it), but definitely worked way better than all the hacks I tried to get it to work. Thanks.